D&D 5E Battlemaster and Superiority Dice are causing martials to suffer.

Still haven't seen an idea as good as the Bushi in Adventures in Rokugan.

Having a per-turn generated 1d4 points that you can stack (to a cap) and spend on abilities is super fun to play. Being able to replace attacks and use them as reactions and bonus actions gives a fighter a chance to play simple (favoring just 1-2 techs) or get really diverse and go all out trying things.

The Bushi even works in core 5E, and is pretty much balanced along 5E class lines. If 5E ever just adopted the idea, man, like, even children can do it. No dice to keep track of. Per turn. Mmmm heat.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Still haven't seen an idea as good as the Bushi in Adventures in Rokugan.

Having a per-turn generated 1d4 points that you can stack (to a cap) and spend on abilities is super fun to play. Being able to replace attacks and use them as reactions and bonus actions gives a fighter a chance to play simple (favoring just 1-2 techs) or get really diverse and go all out trying things.

The Bushi even works in core 5E, and is pretty much balanced along 5E class lines. If 5E ever just adopted the idea, man, like, even children can do it. No dice to keep track of. Per turn. Mmmm heat.
The Bushi, Courtier, and Shinobi are amazing design.

Stormonu

Legend
split the fighter in 3 (I don't care what you call them)
the basic champion (I think we can keep it called fighter)
the complex battlemaster (warlord/warblade/swordsage/animeswordguy)
the gish eldritch knight (Bladesinger/swordmage/magus/duskblade)
One of the ideas I have been working on is turning the Ranger into the battlemaster class (Ranger as in a commando, instead of an Aragorn). Trade manuevers for spells, with a subclass having the spell abilities.
That leaves Fighter more or less the basic champion
Paladin would be the divine fighter/spellcaster, and I've been working on a Battlemage which would be the arcane fighter/spellcaster.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Tbh, this is always something people forget when talking about "battlemaster/resources should be for everything"
That WoTC did not make this decision arbitrarily to remove maneuvers from everything, it was something that was communicated to them by a large feedback in the biggest DnD playtest/feedback collecting cycle ever and that still holds true about how a lot of people feel about stuff like that.
The core issue is that WOTC wanted only one "Fighter" class.

The survey displayed that there ws a clear desire for a "Simple Fighter: and a "Complex Fighter". WOTC forced them to be the same class instead of 2 separate class chassis.

Remove ads