D&D 5E Beast Master Primal Companion Still Frustrating at level 10+

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Anyway. At least Tasha's gives a little more spellcasting and spells known via replacement features, and they're definitely not bad spells they give you. Still, they take the place of core class features that could definitely be additional to those extra spells without any imbalance. You could add all the Tasha replacment features for the Ranger as additions instead, and not overpower the class. It's not the way I'd actually go, because I want more versatility not necessarily more direct power, though.

As I've said in other threads, natural explorer could give a choice between generally useful exploration features tied to each terrain, each of which has some group application, or bonus spells tied to each terrain. This way you play differently based on terrain choice, the choice actually matters even if the campaign isn't primarily in the wilderness, and you make the group better at exploration, which should be a prime shtick of the ranger.

Then, Favored Enemy could provide the ability to make "bane" poisons that bypass poison resistance and eventually immunity, when used against your favored enemy, and that restrict the tactical options or benefits of a type of creature, like making flying creatures fly more slowly and clumsily and need to land if they fail a save, or knocking out regeneration, or making it difficult to speak or to concentrate, etc. Things themed on the most famous examples of a FE type, but useful against foes outside that type.

Either the above, or give them ritual casting, a broader spell list, some weapon spells that don't cost a bonus action, and either prepared spells or the ability to change a few spells when they take a long rest.

Or go nuts and rewrite the whole class on a model closer to the Artificer than to the Paladin.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
@Blue sorry. While I stand by the points I made above, the tone was needlessly aggressive. You aren't the primary source of my frustration, but I reacted to your post as if you were. I apologize for doing so.

Remove ads