[Beginner Box] DM/1-player session: adventure advice

Wraith Form

Explorer
I'd like advice in finding, or writing from scratch, an adventure for a solo 1st level wizard. To be clear, I don't feel I need advice how to run a solo adventure, as I've run a number of them over the years--that's not the point of this thread.

My cousin would like to play an Elf Wizard. This will be his FIRST TIME with D&D (or any RPG), so I want to choose an adventure that 1) makes him say "Wow!,"* 2) is not overwhelming as far as setting and background info--ideally I'd like to verbally describe the setting in about 30 seconds to a minute, and 3) is suited specifically for a wizard.

He's late 20's, so I'd like to run an adventure that's not too childish or silly....dealing with "mature themes and situations" is fine. This does NOT necessarily need to be Pathfinder/3.5-rules based (or even D&D for that matter); I can convert rules from other RPGs.

Also, I figured I'd run a GM NPC bodyguard/fighter to accompany him, in case he gets into trouble, as wizards are not known for their rugged durability. I'm thinking a human fighter's stats, but 'reskinned' as a golem or automaton. This gives my cousin the option to point and say "Attack!" or "Defend!" and it'll carry out his orders, and yet the automaton won't be able to provide tactical or adventure-related advice (it can't speak).

I know my parameters are kind of narrow, but if anyone can think of a decent low-level adventure that fits my needs, I can "Beginner Box-ize" it.

Alternately, if anyone wants to throw out a few wizard-specific "seeds" that I can use to create my own adventure...I'd be appreciative.

Thank you!

* This is actually kinda important to me.

Fooly_Cooly

First Post
Make his bodyguard an armiger man. New class. Made specifically for body guarding almost and makes a great NPC follow character. Reskining as a golem wouldnt be a problem either.Armiger - Pathfinder_OGC . But other than that youd need a story focusing on his character. Perhaps limit him to 1 city at first with a lot of things that would attract a wizards attention. Perhaps a Wizard for higher thing like harrey dresden would suit well?

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
If you want a lack of background story, a city might be a bit much. Have him travel to one, probably to further his studies.

On the way there, while stopping at a small settlement, you could let the people there approach him, making it obvious they don't know much about wizards and what they can do. They will need help with something even their (probably old and half blind and deaf) priest can't help them with. And probably it is something the young wizard likely has no clue about how to approach it either at first.

Burn_Boy

First Post
Perhaps some crops or the priests garden of plants used to make medicine or healing potions? A wizard might not know too much about botany, but a well placed Detect Magic could maybe find some supernatural reason for it. Perfect excuse to go an explore those ruins that always seem to lay a few miles outside of town?

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
The villagers have recently decided to grow wine and thus have cleared out a large part of the hillside to start planting. Now people have gone missing, and the small group of soldiers sent from the next bigger settlement hasn't come back from their investigation - except one who is now plagued by nightmares and doesn't remember who he is. All they got from him is talk about "something beyond." That was a few days ago, and now more and more villagers get the same sort of nightmares but can't quite remember them when they wake up. They could be easily identifiable because they do not want to sleep anymore and look definitely sleep deprived.

The few children who had the dream are the only ones who remember a "scary old bearded guy" trying to beat them with a large staff. In reality, this is the wizard who used to live on the mountainside a long time back. He thought himself a great scientist/alchemist, but he really was more of a dabbler and blew up much of his own underground complex. This killed him and set free magical energies still abundant in the area. It also trapped him between life and death.

The staff the kids are scared of is the key to locking in the energies and has to be found in the complex. Unfortunately, only those with magical aptitude (which, as long as they are not spoiled with other ideas) includes all children, can understand the trapped spirit. The villagers should have gotten that the dream spirit is a wizard but probably think him a bad guy and not just incompetent.

Now the PC could either get the idea together from the children or, in a night or two, get the same dream of a wizard calling out and waving the staff. Being trained, he might hear the words "it is the key" or some such.

The underground complex (any well done dungeon map with a few destroyed areas) could hold a few magically created beasts the golem would need to take care of, maybe the spirit of a toad or owl familiar talking in riddles about where the staff is and likely some items, substances and potions of use. Depending on how interested your cousin is in riddles, you can adapt it on the fly, probably.

Then have the staff fit into a relief in a half-collapsed wall to close the source of the still abundant magical energy - a magical well, a never closed summoning circle to another plane, or maybe just a never deactivated item of high power. The latter could be something he has heard of in his studies ad something borrowed out from his wizard's school and never returned. If you use factions in the game, you could make up a wizard faction the PC could gain favor with.

Asmo

First Post
Dungeon #72 has a wonderful sidequest called "Plundering Poppof" You - and a rogue - is tasked with a delicate matter; break in while Poppof is away and steal a rare and evil book called the Ebony Grimoire. His house is gaurded with various undeads and some traps.
I´ve run this small adventure several times, and it´s always a blast.

Asmo

Gilladian

Adventurer
I once ran an adventure for some newbies with the following plot:

1) the pcs were all pixies or fairies who lived at the bottom of the local wizard's garden. You could instead have the pc be the apprentice of the wizard, who lives in a cottage in the garden and is only allowed in the tower by invitation (and only on the lowest level, of course).

2) the wizard's cat arrived one day, insisting in the way only a cat can, that the PCs follow him. He led them into the tower, and up to a lab on the 3rd floor. The wizard lies there, covered with a curtain of magical energy, asleep or otherwise magically bound. Notes on the table indicate he was in the midst of making a powerful magical trap designed to "catch" people in it. Obviously it has been set off!

3) the PC is incapable of handling the magic needed to reverse the spell on his own. He has to travel x distance (in my game for the pixies it was just a couple miles, through the village and over the river) to another wizard's dwelling; in this case it was the wizard's rival, a sorceress, and convince her to come to his aid.

4) the trip consisted of dealing with a whole series of classic encounters; there was a troll bridge, a bush full of fermented berries and drunken birds (this might work if they were goblins instead), a vicious dog in the village (of course, the pixies wanted to remain hidden from the humans; for a wizard's apprentice you might need to think of a reason he wants to remain un-noticed; maybe the villagers would steal from the wizard if they knew he was debilitated?). Bandits would be an interesting risk. Giant spiders in the woods is another fun danger.

5) of course, once he reaches the sorceress' house, he then has to negotiate with her. Time for lots of creepy props like skulls and snakes! Is she good or evil? Willing to help? Bribe-able?

Remove ads