• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Beginning a full attack as a partial action~

Dark Eternal

First Post
Has anyone ever done this? I tried it in a game some time back, and all I got were funny looks from people. I know it says you can do this, but I can't quite figure out how it's supposed to work.

If anyone knows how this works out in play, would you be kind enough to explain it? An example of the effect in play would help clarify things a lot.

Thanks.

Kraedin

First Post
First, you use your partial action for the "start full-round action" partial action. Then, when you get another partial action (either on this turn or the next) you use it to finish the full-round action, when it then takes effect.

For example, a fighter with haste could use his partial action to begin a full attack, and then, on his next round, finish that full attack using another partial action. All attack rolls would be made on the second round.

Aluvial

Explorer
Kraedin said:

For example, a fighter with haste could use his partial action to begin a full attack, and then, on his next round, finish that full attack using another partial action. All attack rolls would be made on the second round.

Would the fighter then get to make a move equivalent after that on the second round?

Aluvial

dcollins

Explorer
I disagree that that's possible. The specific description of "Start Full-Round Action" is that is (PHB p. 127): "lets you start undertaking a miscellaneous full-round action (such as those listed on Table 8-4: Miscellaneous Actions)".

A full attack is not a miscellaneous action, and does not appear in that table. (It's an attack-type action, in Table 8-1). Therefore it's not allowed as a "start full-round action" partial action.

Kraedin

First Post
You explicitly can use the “start full-round action” partial action to cast a 1 full round spell (see footnotes, Table 8—3). The cast a spell action appears on Table 8—1, the same table that includes the full attack action.

By extension, you are not limited to Table 8—4 when using the “start full-round action” partial action.

Also, the Table 8—4 only interpretation leads to bizarre outcomes, such as being able to throw a shortspear using the “start full-round action” partial action, but not a halfspear.

Last edited:

dcollins

Explorer
Kraedin said:
You explicitly can use the “start full-round action” partial action to cast a 1 full round spell (see footnotes, Table 8—3). The cast a spell action appears on Table 8—1, the same table that includes the full attack action.

By extension, you are not limited to Table 8—4 when using the “start full-round action” partial action.

No. That's not using the "Start Full-Round Action" partial, it's a specific use of the "Cast a Spell" partial action, to which is attached the note that you mention.

Kraedin said:
Also, the Table 8—4 only interpretation leads to bizarre outcomes, such as being able to throw a shortspear using the “start full-round action” partial action, but not a halfspear.

I don't follow this example at all. With a halfspear (assuming you're Medium-sized), you can throw it with a "Partial Attack (ranged)" action, one-handed. With a shortspear, you are unable to throw it in a partial action, because it requires a full-round action, two-handed. I don't see anything particularly bizarre about that.

Last edited:

Lord Pendragon

First Post
I don't allow this, nor do I believe it's possible for a single reason:

Hasted fighter launches a full attack normally, then "starts" a full attack with his partial.

Monster moves thirty feet away.

Hasted fighter....uh....hrmmmm.....

Kraedin

First Post
I'd like to point out that "if an action is normally a full-round action, sometimes you can still do it as a partial action, and sometimes to complete it you need to use the start full-round action and complete the action in the following round with another partial action." (PHB, pg. 127) This neatly divides full-round actions into two groups: those that can be done as partial actions, and those that use the start full round action partial action. We all know that the full attack action does not belong in that first group, so it must be in the second.

Remove ads