Beholders, Mind Flayers, and Strahd von Zarovich Released Into Creative Commons (Kinda)

In the 5.1 SRD that just got released into the Creative Commons is a bunch of IP including Count Strahd von Zarovich, the Feywild, the Shadowfell, the City of Brass, Palace of Dispater, Street of Steel, Gate of Ashes, and the Sea of Fire. The beholder is also specifically referenced by name in the Deck of Illusions, and Mind Flayers and Slaad are also referenced--at least by name--repeatedly...

th-2651574302.jpg

In the 5.1 SRD that just got released into the Creative Commons is a bunch of IP including Count Strahd von Zarovich, the Feywild, the Shadowfell, the City of Brass, Palace of Dispater, Street of Steel, Gate of Ashes, and the Sea of Fire. The beholder is also specifically referenced by name in the Deck of Illusions, and Mind Flayers and Slaad are also referenced--at least by name--repeatedly in the document.

Here's a link to the content released to CC.

What does that mean? Under OGL v1.0a terms like this were generally designated as ‘Product Identity’ and were unavailable for use. The CC license has no such provision. This means that those using the OGL cannot (still) use terms designated as PI, but those using the CC can use the full content of the document released under it.

Only the names of these creatures and places are contained in the document--so you can't use Strahd's image or stat block or description, nor can you use those of the beholder, etc. But it does appear that you can refer to these items.

Prime_Evil

Adventurer
The term MInd Flayer is trademarked in the US and Europe....but not by WoTC. Someone named Lu Guoping from Jiangxi Province in China trademarked the term in August 2021 in connection with:
"Dice; Action figure toys; Action skill games; Board games; Card games; Dice games; Fantasy character toys; Gaming paper, namely, paper printed with regular grid and hexagon patterns for use in playing war games, role playing games and miniature games; Playing card game accessories, namely, playing card cases, playing card holders, mats for use in connection with playing card games, playing card shuffling devices and dice; Playing pieces in the nature of miniature action figures and toy model vehicles for use with table top hobby battle games in the nature of battle, war and skirmish games, and fantasy games; Plush toys; Tabletop games; Video game interactive control floor pads or mats"
The trademark was approved in the US on 14 June 2022.

pemerton

Legend
It's great for OSR folks especially, I think, as they don't have to work around the 'Product Identity' restrictions any more, and can even have simple OD&D style 1 line stats for mind flayers in their dungeons.

WotC say "Please do not include any other attribution regarding Wizards other than that provided above. You may, however,
include a statement on your work that it is “compatible with fifth edition” or “5E compatible.”"

The funny thing is this does not appear to be a legal requirement, so it seems you could now put "Compatible with Dungeons & Dragons, published by Wizards of the Coast. Trade Mark used without permission" on your work that uses CC material. It would be a bit rude though. (And of course being legal doesn't necessarily prevent nasty C&D letters).
I think the "please do not include any other attribution" may be a legal requirement, as per CC-BY section 3.a.1.A.i:

If You Share the Licensed Material (including in modified form), You must retain the following if it is supplied by the Licensor with the Licensed Material: identification of the creator(s) of the Licensed Material and any others designated to receive attribution, in any reasonable manner requested by the Licensor (including by pseudonym if designated)​

The absence of other attribution seems like it may be a component of a reasonable request by the Licensor as to the mode of attribution.

With the mind flayers et al, and someone has already probably mentioned this upthread, the licence doesn't extend to trademarks (section 2.b.2) and so that may limit the way that some of those terms that WotC asserts are its trademarks are used. But it has definitely moved the field of analysis from the contractual terrain of Product Identity to the terrain of pure IP law.

{EDITed just to fix a couple of typos.)

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
I think the "please do not include any other attribution" may be a legal requirement, as per CC-BY section 3.a.1.A.i:

If You Share the Licensed Material (including in modified form), You must retain the following if it is supplied by the Licensor with the Licensed Material: identification of the creator(s) of the Licensed Material and any others designated to receive attribution, in any reasonable manner requested by the Licensor (including by pseudonym if designated)​

The absence of other attribution seems like it may be a component of a reasonable request by the Licensor as to the mode of attribution.

That appears to be a requirement to show the origin of the SRD material, as per WoTC's required licence notice:

This work includes material taken from the System Reference Document 5.1 (“SRD 5.1”) by Wizards of
the Coast LLC and available at Systems Reference Document | Dungeons & Dragons. The
SRD 5.1 is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License available at

It does not appear to impose any restriction on indicating compatibility with the D&D game, AFAICs. That issue of indicating compatibility is a different question from the question of who originated the CC material (the contents of the SRD), and I don't think can be reasonably taken to be covered by the CC licencing terms. Probably why the 'request' is not part of the licence terms.

pemerton

Legend
That appears to be a requirement to show the origin of the SRD material, as per WoTC's required licence notice:

This work includes material taken from the System Reference Document 5.1 (“SRD 5.1”) by Wizards of
the Coast LLC and available at Systems Reference Document | Dungeons & Dragons. The
SRD 5.1 is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License available at

It does not appear to impose any restriction on indicating compatibility with the D&D game, AFAICs. That issue of indicating compatibility is a different question from the question of who originated the CC material (the contents of the SRD), and I don't think can be reasonably taken to be covered by the CC licencing terms. Probably why the 'request' is not part of the licence terms.
I think the "Please do not include any other attribution regarding Wizards other than that provided above" is part of the reasonable request the licence incorporates into its terms.

Which perhaps rules out "Compatible with D&D - D&D is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast used without permission". As I think there is at least an argument that that might constitute an attribution to Wizards. That argument probably wouldn't be knockdown, but I wouldn't necessarily want to be the first person to defend against it!

"Compatible with D&D", without the rest, doesn't look like any sort of attribution to Wizards. But perhaps raises its own risks around trademark use.

Remove ads

Remove ads