• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Being strong and skilled is a magic of its own or, how I learned to stop worrying and love anime fightin' magic

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
At this point, I'm seriously considering adding a literal power to shout limbs on to WoE, just out of spite.

Does WoE have a distinction between natural and supernatural/paranormal/magic abilities? It feels like it really needs to be clearly labeled the former even if nothing else is labeled.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I don't know if I'd do it out of spite, but, ya know.... Bard. They literally sing limbs on, so I don't know why shouting them on is so strange to people.

Also, how many people are playing with dismemberment that this keeps being a thing?

(I am mostly being silly)

Haplo781

Legend
I don't know if I'd do it out of spite, but, ya know.... Bard. They literally sing limbs on, so I don't know why shouting them on is so strange to people.

Also, how many people are playing with dismemberment that this keeps being a thing?

(I am mostly being silly)
Tons. That's why the regeneration spell is so popular.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Tons. That's why the regeneration spell is so popular.
Quoting from another book to follow up the description in post #837 that led us to trod this old martial-healing-edition ground again.

"Amputated human limbs festered in a mound nearly five feed deep outside the Union surgical tent."
-Jim Huffstodt on the the the two days at Shiloh and its 13,000 Union Casualties

I think I am quite good without a wounds system in D&D.

Haplo781

Legend
Quoting from another book to follow up the description in post #837 that led us to trod this old martial-healing-edition ground again.

"Amputated human limbs festered in a mound nearly five feed deep outside the Union surgical tent."
-Jim Huffstodt on the the the two days at Shiloh and its 13,000 Union Casualties

I think I am quite good without a wounds system in D&D.
3.5 Unearthed Arcana vitality and wounds.

Vaalingrade

Legend
No no, hitpoint damage isn't ever actually taking physical damage. Except when it comes to Warlords, then all of it was always purely physical and you cannot shout wounds away.
I snuck up on that noise as it sat on a bus stop bench, wrapped an arm around its neck and gently shushed it as it drifted off to an eternal sleep. Here's how I describe HP:

Hit Points (HP)

Hit points are a game construct representing how close to death or incapacitation a character is. While loss of hit points is colloquially called ‘damage’, there is no mechanical penalty to loss of any hit points except for the loss that takes a character from a positive hit point total to zero or negative hit points. Because of this, players are free to describe hit point loss as anything they like from physical wounds, their stamina being worn down, or their luck being consumed as they they narrowly escape another threat.

For reference, one character can be like John McClane in Die Hard, getting progressively bloodier and more visibly injured. Meanwhile, another can be like James Bond, crashing through action scenes with maximum bravado and only needing to smooth out their tux and adjust their cufflinks at the end.

A starting character has a number of hit points equal to their CON score plus their class’s hit point bonus.

Remove ads