D&D 5E Being strong and skilled is a magic of its own or, how I learned to stop worrying and love anime fightin' magic

Chaosmancer

Legend
No no, hitpoint damage isn't ever actually taking physical damage. Except when it comes to Warlords, then all of it was always purely physical and you cannot shout wounds away.

Basically.

/////////////////////////

I snuck up on that noise as it sat on a bus stop bench, wrapped an arm around its neck and gently shushed it as it drifted off to an eternal sleep. Here's how I describe HP:

Yeah, I like that it can be whichever way makes the most thematic sense for the character. Because, well, each type of story has a different version.

I'm remembering a character who was based (very) loosely on the legend of how Blackbeard died. This character's death was described thusly

"[he] received 267 sword wounds, 152 gunshot wounds and 46 wounds from cannonballs — adding up to a total of 465 injuries at the time of death. Despite this, there was not a single scar on [his] back showing cowardice."

And this potentially ignores the gaping hole in his chest and having part of his face blown away, the two wounds which eventually killed him, and like the famous story of "The Standing Death of Benkei". Or the legend of Cu Chulainn. Heck, the reason this guy was (loosely) based on Blackbeard is because Blackbeard famously was shot five times and suffered twenty sword wounds before dying. This is just a thing that makes sense for some heroes, to survive multiple times the number of wounds they should have.

While other heroes it makes more sense that they "just barely" get out of the way.

Remove ads