• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BENEATH the LUNAR SPECULUM

Tom Cashel

First Post
Hnaef: "For all your bickering, I sense a true camaraderie here. With my silent and sneaky ways, I'd be willing to accompany anyone who goes to scout ahead."

Velm: "Yes, well...maybe this is what passes for camaraderie in the Deeps of the earth...

"Bronn, for all your obnoxiousness, your call for unseen reconnaissance is well-thought. I second it.

"Roman, I'd have thought you could hear more clearly with those pointy soupbowls on the sides of your head." fingers his axe "We wouldn't want that scraping at your skull to turn into a splitting headache, now would we?" :D

"Saeita! Saeita! Where's that Silent One gotten to?"

[OOC: I got a new mini yesterday: "Female elf monk." She's wielding a scimitar, which is kind of weird, but otherwise it'd probably be cool for Saeita...]

Van Dyksun

First Post
Am I the only person who can't see in the dark? I think I may be, now that Daziel has passed into Selune's bosom and Corwyn's been transmogrified into a snake. The mask has additional benefits over these goggles, so unless someone else speaks up....

I would suggest that Cara take up the wand, if she can use it. What say you, Caramip?

I agree with the assessment about Zandrus Winter. I suspect she's mighty angry right about now, and wouldn't be surprised if she's not outside that moonbeam waiting for a wizard to step through and try out a wand or something equally stupid.

Personally, I'd like Bronn to cast invisibility on himself, but he's louder than a hobgoblin that's just been impaled (and about as ugly) so he's not much good as a scout. Saieta, I or Hnaef are likely the best scout prospects and given the fact that Saieta can move so much faster than Hnaef or I, she's likely the best choice.

Actually, that brings up a question, can you cast invisibility today, Bronn? I had a potion of invisibility, but I can't remember where it got to after I died.

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
Van -- Don't you have those googles already? And didn't you also get a powerful ring plus some magic arrows? AND weren't you the one who wanted to leave the items behind? The only reason you should get that mask is to hide your recently rended face.

I do not cast cowardly spells such as invisibility or illusions (so offense, Cara). If you'd like to see what spells I CAN cast today, Van, I can arrange something for you. :)

Which reminds me, Van, I think you need to ask for you potions back that we divided up after you died. I've got a mushroom of Protection from Acid that I think was yours. *hands it over* Anyone else have anything to give back to Mr. Troll-Toy here?

(Roman Gemmalee)

Van if you don't mind, I could use the mask. You received the powerful ring and arrows and I only received arrows. If you remember, I was the one that took the risk with the items in the first place. Furthermore, I don't have any items to help my night vision and you have goggles already.

(Roman Gemmalee)

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
OOC: Keith -- don't let Velm push you around with your Spring Attack move. It kicks ass. Just because he charges into battle without thinking doesn't mean you have to. But keep in mind, you're going to piss off the only person in the party who can heal people!

Roman Gemmalee

OCC: Thanks but Velm's right. We either stand together or die alone. I can use the spring attack to get behind the enemy instead of jumping away. This will help us all during attacks and defense rounds.

Now what is the plan?:)

Van Dyksun

First Post
I didn't realize that you couldn't see in the dark, Roman--I thought elves had that ability, but I think I confused that with the ability to see well even with only a slight amount of light around. Yes, please take the mask.

Bronn, you're seriously getting on my nerves.

Seriously.

If you want my blade at your back, and not in your back, you will change your tone of voice and manner now.

I'm not joking.

Yes, I advocated for leaving these things in that room. Given the inscription on the door that led to that room, anyone with a small amount of intelligence should have been given pause. If we had all passed these items by, and emerged back here realizing that we had made a mistake, you can be assured that I would have been the first to lead the way back to that room by whatever means necessary. I did not intend to leave the Speculum without this ring, as it was the entire reason we entered here.

But just because I advocated for leaving these things behind given the circumstances involved does not mean that I feel they shouldn't be used in the most practical way possible to accomplish Selune's wishes.

(I also want to point out that the moonmote arrows were not in that final room, anyway, but in the griffin room. Just as the scroll was in the room with the turning table.)

Regarding the potions and things that I passed out while I was a ghost, there is no need to return those to me. They were purchased to be used for this endeavor. Like these things we have just received, it doesn't matter who carries them as long as they are used for the greater glory of Selune and to remove Hathos' curse from these ancient halls.

Since Bronn can't cast invisibility, do we have a potion? Anyone?

If we can't have an invisible scout, what's our next option.

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
Van -- Whoa! Calm down there, Casper! There's a dwarvish saying, "If you can't handle it, don't put it into the forge!" I mean no harm to you, so let's stop all this talk about blades, spells, and whatnot. We're all here to work together.

(Except for Velm who's here to drink mead and basically stink up the place) :)

Now, this plan to send a scout has merit. I believe our fair-voiced friend Cara here has the power to cast Invisibility. Cara, do you think you might be able to cast that on Sieta and/or Hnaef who can slip through the moonlight (perferably with Van's goggles on) and scout?

Also, since we're not 100% certain they'll be able to come
back through the moonlight, it's important to find out where we are right now in relation to the crater. Sieta might be able to dimension door back here with those bracers if she needs to.

Keep in mind, invisibility won't work against a dragon.. and there are many spells that can see through such an illusion. So it's important for whoever goes through to scout and come immediately back.

Assuming we get through the moonlight and whatever awaits us. What's our next move after that?

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
PS One more thing... despite Van's generosity, I insist everyone give him back the items he gave us when he took ghostly form. Without Van the ghost's help, we wouldn't have made it out of that tentacle room. We owe you back what's yours, Van Dyksun. You magnificent bastard, you.

Van Dyksun

First Post
How about sending Wolf through the moonlight beam? :D

Seriously, if we send a scout, we need the scout on a time limit, so that if the scout doesn't return in, say, five minutes, we go to our backup plan.

Not sure what the backup plan is, but it should involve being prepared for the worst (dragon, I'm thinking).

Is there anyway else out of this Speculum, Senaschel?

Remove ads