• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BENEATH the LUNAR SPECULUM

Van Dyksun

First Post
Indeed.

Strategy notes: If we do encounter the Winter woman again and her pet dragon, I'm thinking that we would be better served attacking Winter. The dragon is dangerous, but the woman more so. And if we are near the woman, the dragon wouldn't be able to use its breath weapon without hurting Winter as well.

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
Van -- I agree with you. We kill Zandrus Winter and make the Dragon my new familiar (no offense, Wolf). Actually, Hnaef here might be a good person to help in the attack against her... I hear his kind are even more resistant to magic than dwarves!

But let's talk about our next step... which is to find the Crown of Fire (that is, the dwarven forges). Our last Legend Lore gave us many clues of how to get past the "tests" involved.

Cara -- That drum you hold is the key! I wish you would spend some more time learning its secrets.

Here's what I remember:

The Drum of Hathos the Exile, carried at his side.
Holds the Key to Test of Ice, the sapphires three.
Test of Flame, rubies three
To Crown of Fire, where Moradin stands guard.
The Doors shall not be opened without it.
Only a true son or daughter of stone -- one whom Moradin loves
May pass the test of smoke.

What does all this mean? That Drum is definitely the answer. Sapphires? Rubies? Velm, it looks like you're going to be the one to pass the test of smoke. I do not know if the all-father bares me any love, although I used to worship him at the forges in Thunderstone as a child.

OOC: For information on Moradin, check out this cool website! Be sure to crank up the sound on your computer really high for cool dwarven music!!!
http://the-realm-website.bappy.com/moradin.html

Tom Cashel

First Post
Velm: "Good work, Bron. But let's not forget the riddle on the original map, which is carved into the wall at Stone Tooth:

I fall forever and not at all
I slay fire
I guard Hathos' skull
It holds the key
To rubies 3
Sapphires 3
And crown of fire
But remember Hathos’ curse

"Pretty much the same thing...hmm...isn't there some mention of a 'Test of Four Stones' on that map we found inside the drum? That would mean we will face a Test of Ice, a Test of Flame, a Test of Smoke, and a Test of Four Stones...at least.

"All those other phrases...the drum holds the Key, the Doors shall not be opened without it, son or daughter of stone (and isn't Cara, a rock gnome, a 'daughter of stone'?)...are they window-dressing or an integral piece of the riddle?

"Perhaps there's no way to know until we arrive, but I agree with Bronn on one thing: you need to figure out everything that drum does, Caramip. Our lives and quest depend on it."

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
Velm -- What was the end of that riddle we found carved on the wall? After "beware Hathos's curse"? I can't remember ...

So this drum holds the key to passing the test of flame and the test of ice -- which probably means using those two scraps of paper with musical scores on them. Cara -- have you figured those out?

As for the "Test of Four Stones"... well, the riddle tells us that we do not hold the answer to that one. I guess we'll have to figure it out ourselves.

And the trial of smoke appears to be within Moradin's Hall itself. Hmmm. Perhaps Cara could pass that test... but why would the final test before Moradin require a rock gnome? I'd imagine it's dwarves he's talking about.

The good news, Cousin is that before we get to these four trials, we pass by Clangeddon's Hall. Perhaps your god will give us the courage we need.

Saeita Nevi

First Post
alright, I will speak.

I will gratefully wear the silver bracers in battle.

As for use of my clairvoyance potion, I think that is a good idea. I would still like to be invisible - if that is possible - I have a feeling someone is waiting out there for us.

I will be quick, a sweep of the immediate area including hiding places. If there is no one, we need to immediately be on our way.

But what is the plan after I've discovered say an ambush in wait for us?

Tom Cashel

First Post
[OOC: You just got yourself a JSBX disc, Stacie ;) ]

Velm: "That was the end of the riddle, as far as I can recall, Cousin. Cara played the rhythms for 'ice' and 'fire,' and deduced the pattern to induce panic, but has not yet discovered any other functions.

"Will Saeita use the potion and then scout the Lunar Speculum? Or will someone else use the potion to watch Saeita while she is scouting the Speculum?

edit: "Actually...if she's invisible, no one will be able to watch her. I suppose someone could watch the Speculum while Saeita scouts it...what do you all think?"

"Perhaps passing Clangeddin's Hall will give you courage, Cousin. The Father of Battles gives me courage all the time. I plan to praise his name and pray with my axeblade."

Last edited:

Saeita Nevi

First Post
After remembering, sort of, what this potion can do...
anyone of us using clairvoyance and looking out there will only give us the information: no one is standing right there and waiting for us. It won't allow us to sneak around and look for traps and attackers hiding. Unless Bronn you know something I don't.

the benefit for using clairvoyance is those left behind will know if the scout is in trouble... but all in all I don't think this potion will alone give us a sense of the danger awaiting.

I think I need to go running around invisible again and report back within a set time.

Van Dyksun

First Post
I think we should save the clairaudience/clairvoyance potion. The scout with a certain time limit should be enough...I hope.

Bronn, I like the idea about reading lips. Seems like a good skill to have, but I can't do this currently.

We're heading for Clangeddon's Hall first? Do we have a direction? This might be good to know if we have to start running immediately.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads