• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BEOWULF - a Robert Zemeckis film

horacethegrey

First Post
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/beowulf/

Just watched the trailer for this. WOW. :confused: I never watched The Polar Express (in full at least), because all the previews didn't suitably impress me. But this looks different, and if I may say quite fantastic. Especially liked the offbeat casting of Ray Winstone as Beowulf. And all the other actors look good in their CG counterparts. :)

Just so everyone knows, I quite liked Gerard Butler's Beowulf and Grendel movie. But this film may be more worthy of the great epic poem that inspired it. :D

Work that uncanny valley! Work it!

(This is a reference to how the people look eerily almost human -- Wikipedia "uncanny valley" -- not some sort of reference to Angelina Jolie's mountains and valleys. "Parador, Parador I love you. Your mountains, your rivers, your valleys beckon to me. Parador, Parador I love you. Hold me forever this land of the brave and the free.")

The CG looks a thousand times better than the pain that was Polar Express.

Still a few odd spots in the trailer, look wise, but overall I think they may have avoided the uncanny valley affect enough to make it watchable. Here's hoping, because the trailer looks good.

Wombat

First Post
The look is ... interesting.

Unfortunately, they have obviously monkeyed with the story, which is sad.

I wish someone would shoot Beowulf as-written, or close enough to, rather than adding in all sorts of things that don't actually happen in the story, without adding in extraneous characters.

Darth Shoju

First Post
Wombat said:
The look is ... interesting.

Unfortunately, they have obviously monkeyed with the story, which is sad.

I wish someone would shoot Beowulf as-written, or close enough to, rather than adding in all sorts of things that don't actually happen in the story, without adding in extraneous characters.

Yeah that would be good, but with Neil Gaiman having a hand in the screenplay for this one I doubt it will suck.

horacethegrey

First Post
Darth Shoju said:
Yeah that would be good, but with Neil Gaiman having a hand in the screenplay for this one I doubt it will suck.
I like Gaiman, but having him write the screenplay hardly qualifies as a slam dunk. Some of his Sandman stories left me cold, and his screenplay on Princess Mononoke was alright, but hardly exemplary.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads