Besides D&D, what are you playing?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Thanks! I haven't read Pendragon in an age, but when I browsed through it today it didn't seem much like your descriptions of PV play, which sounded excellent. I think I'd prefer PV at this point, although I do appreciate a good medieval sim, at least in theory.

pemerton

Legend
Thanks! I haven't read Pendragon in an age, but when I browsed through it today it didn't seem much like your descriptions of PV play, which sounded excellent. I think I'd prefer PV at this point, although I do appreciate a good medieval sim, at least in theory.
I've never played Pendragon in a serious way - only the odd one-off - so I may not be a fair judge of it. But when I read it I want to like it, because the tropes and ideas are excellent, but when I try to actually imagine it in play I sense a lot of accounting and not a lot of spontaneity.

Whereas PV is accounting-light and spontaneity-heavy!

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
No RPGs beyond D&D right now - MtG (EDH), Ascension, and Bridge mostly.

Have the urge for some old school Gamma World for no reason in particular.

pemerton

Legend
@Fenris-77 Also, and given that we're concurrent participants in the OA thread:

The Prince Valiant material in the core book emulates the pulp-y tropes of the comic. So women tend to be beautiful with high Glamourie skill (all the better to manipulate their men-folk) and the most generic opposition is Huns.

We work around this as best we can - using material from the Episodes book that shipped with the Kickstarter a few years ago we have had women warriors as well as ingenues and manipulators; and since I started using Huns as opponents (with the PCs in the Balkans an Anatolia) they have converted some and had them join their order while beating up on others.

Nevertheless I think it's worth pointing these things out.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
@Fenris-77 Also, and given that we're concurrent participants in the OA thread:

The Prince Valiant material in the core book emulates the pulp-y tropes of the comic. So women tend to be beautiful with high Glamourie skill (all the better to manipulate their men-folk) and the most generic opposition is Huns.

We work around this as best we can - using material from the Episodes book that shipped with the Kickstarter a few years ago we have had women warriors as well as ingenues and manipulators; and since I started using Huns as opponents (with the PCs in the Balkans an Anatolia) they have converted some and had them join their order while beating up on others.

Nevertheless I think it's worth pointing these things out.
It's being true to the source material (pulp medieval). That can be done even when the source material is problematic. So long as you know what you're getting into, and the game itself is upfront about things, it doesn't have to be terrible and options are always good. Pulp games of various stripes have done a fine job stepping past some of the misogyny and racism inherent in some of the original source material, so it makes sense that PV could do the same.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Dogs in the Vineyard almost made my list too. I've been using it a lot to inform the D&D campaign I'm currently setting up for my boys. I've also been looking at REIGN, Corporation, and The Veil quite a bit to help me flesh out some system agnostic faction rules.

Remove ads