Besides D&D, what are you playing?

hawkeyefan

Legend
I agree on Dogs in the Vineyard. By the time it came to my attention, it was way past its initial release, and now it's tough to come by.

1. Blades in the Dark
2. Alien RPG
3. Mothership
4. City of Mists
5. Spire

That's my list currently. I'll admit that I cheated by including Spire.....haven't yet played it, but I am hoping to soon, To be honest, my one complaint about my gaming group is that getting them to try games other than D&D can be a chore in and of itself.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
You aren't cheating, I included stuff on my list I'm not actually playing, but maybe reading, or prepping to run, or using to hack another game, or whatever. 'Playing' covers a lot of ground when you're a GM.:p I use a lot of books for a lot of things. Here's a list of stuff I've at least cracked in the past week in the course of doing something RPG related:

Swords of the Serpentine, DitV. Dungeon World, Corporation, Invisible Sun, The Veil, Into the Wyrd and Wild, Skeleton World, City of Mist, Blades in the Dark, ACE, Savage Worlds, The Esoterrorists, Symbaroum, and SIGMATA. Plus a bunch of 5E stuff.

SavageCole

Punk Rock Warlord
Top Five (non-D&D)
1. Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th)
2. Call of Cthulhu (7th)
3. Legend of the Rings (L5R)
4. Mythras
5. Alien RPG

Last edited:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
How is that, by the way? Obviously you dig it....but do you mind elaborating?
It's bloody brilliant. They've taken GUMSHOE and done something really interesting with it. The Investigative pools, rather than just finding clues, are treated more like little nuggets of narrative control and apply to, well, everything. Rather than an exhaustive preview, I'll just highlight some of my favorite things about the game.

Character generation is a hoot - there's a lot of narrative involved, not that it takes very long, but the design is that you should be able to read the character sheet and have a really good idea who that character is without additional backstory. And it works. It's also a free form system, and while there are classes, they are more like templates rather than silos and you have access to the full range of character mechanics with every character. There's also a really nice tension between specialization and breadth of skill for char gen that manages to do both well without really favoring one over the other.

In combat, attacks versus morale (talking) are treated equally to melee combat, and they use the same rules, and sorcery does one or the other depending on the type. It's a great system. The game generally runs on an economy of Investigative pool spends that are occasionally partially refreshed during play (via roleplaying) and refresh completely between adventures (not necessarily between sessions). It's a neat way to handle resource management.

There is both a flashback mechanic and an "of course I have that, it's right here in my pack..." mechanic, so it's a very smooth system for running intrigue and heist type stuff.

The rules for allies and factions are really good and they're treated as a stat with a full range of associated mechanics. They have useful specific in-game uses and still provide solid adventure hooks. The game generally does a really good job with social stuff. It's possible, for example, to make a character who's primary skill is high ranks in various allies, which would make them 'important people' and as such they can use their ally pools to actually do stuff during a session.

Anyway, that's not by a long shot all the stuff I like about it. I haven't even started talking about the fantastic setting. I know it sounds like there are a lot of mechanics, but it's really not that crunchy and I find the whole thing very intuitive. If you want more granularity there's a great thread about the game over on RPG.net that gets daily attention from one of the two designers, Kevin Kulp, and he'll answer questions and spitball about hacks and whatever with whomever stops by.

I haven't really played much D&D at all lately. Mostly I have been playing my own games. At the moment I am a player in a Wandering Heroes of Ogre Gate campaign that is a blend of gangster-crime genre/wuxia. Hoping to play some more Savage Worlds this summer if I get a chance as well.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
So, I made a top-five list of rpg I love (besides D&D):
What do you think? What´s your list?

I haven't played any of your five :.-( But I am usually up for trying new ones:

The two I very fondly remember long running campaigns of were:
1) Vampire 2E
2) Gamma World 1E

One that was fun that we didn't play very long was:
3) Shadowrun

Done some one shots that were fun of:
4) Call of Cthulhu

And then there were a bunch I didn't play very long (Traveler, Brave New World, V&V) or didn't particularly like (13th Age, Fate). So I think I'll stop at 4.

pemerton

Legend
So, I made a top-five list of rpg I love (besides D&D):

#1 Fate
#2 Ironsworn
#3 Blades in the Dark
#4 Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
#5 Symbaroum

What do you think? What´s your list?
I don't get to play as much as I would like, especially during lockdown, so I'll list systems I've played and enjoyed in thie past little while, or that I currently have active campaigns for. I'm not absolutely committed to my ranking:

1. Prince Valiant
2. Classic Traveller (1977 version with a bit of hacking)
3. MHRP/Cortex+ Heroic (currently running my LotR version)
4. Burning Wheel
5. Cthulhu Dark (original 4-page version)

Systems I'd be curious to play more of, but that I probably won't get much of a chance to: Wuthering Heights, In a Wicked Age, also I guess The Dying Earth.

Systems I'd like to try but can't see how I will fit in in the next year or two: Dogs in the Vineyard, Dungeon World.

System I don't own, probably won't buy due to little chance of playing it, but am curious about: Alien.

Next system I hope to run for my group, maybe (?) within the next 6 months depending how things keep going with lockdown: Apocalypse World.

PabloM

Adventurer
I don't get to play as much as I would like, especially during lockdown, so I'll list systems I've played and enjoyed in thie past little while, or that I currently have active campaigns for. I'm not absolutely committed to my ranking:

1. Prince Valiant
2. Classic Traveller (1977 version with a bit of hacking)
3. MHRP/Cortex+ Heroic (currently running my LotR version)
4. Burning Wheel
5. Cthulhu Dark (original 4-page version)

Systems I'd be curious to play more of, but that I probably won't get much of a chance to: Wuthering Heights, In a Wicked Age, also I guess The Dying Earth.

Systems I'd like to try but can't see how I will fit in in the next year or two: Dogs in the Vineyard, Dungeon World.

System I don't own, probably won't buy due to little chance of playing it, but am curious about: Alien.

Next system I hope to run for my group, maybe (?) within the next 6 months depending how things keep going with lockdown: Apocalypse World.
That open a whole new world of games!

System I'd be curious to play more of, but that I probably won't get much of a chance to: Polaris, Apocalypse World

System I don't own, probably won't buy due to little chance of playing it, but am curious about: Alien (too!)

Systems I like (played or not) wich didn´t make it to the top-five: Cthulhu Dark, Dungeon World (mix feelings, actually), Savage Worlds, Scum and Villainy, Black Star Rise, Mothership

Remove ads