Besides D&D, what are you playing?

pemerton

Legend
We are still enjoying Dungeon World. I'm not quite sure how the cleric's divine guidance and petitions of their god work though.
From pp 92-93:

Choose one precept of your religion:​
• Your religion preaches the sanctity of suffering, add Petition: Suffering​
• Your religion is cultish and insular, add Petition: Gaining Secrets​
• Your religion has important sacrificial rites, add Petition: Offering​
• Your religion believes in trial by combat, add Petition: Personal Victory​
Divine Guidance
When you petition your deity according to the precept of your religion, you are granted some useful knowledge or boon related to your deity’s domain. The GM will tell you what.​

I think that this move can put distinctive demands on the GM - especially deciding whether to go with a boon or a soft GM move. But I think it's reasonably clear how it works: When a player describes their character doing something that triggers a move, that move happens and its rules apply (p 18). So if the cleric does something that falls under the petition that pertains to their precept (ie suffers, gains a secret, makes an offering or achieves a personal victory) then the move has been made and the GM has to do his/her bit..

For instance, if the cleric whose religion believes in trial by combat achieves a personal victory, then s/he has made the Divine Guidance move and hence the GM tells her what boon or knowledge s/he receives. Suppose her deity's domain is Civilisation, then maybe the cleric gains insight into the customs of the defeated enemy (say +1 forward to next Parley attempt against a similar sort of being). Or maybe the PC gains a vision of the larger threat of which the defeated foe is a harbinger (Reveal an Unwelcome Truth).

Last edited:

I've run two sessions of Cthulhu Dark, both spontaneous one-shots. To be honest, having used this system I couldn't imagine using a different one for CoC RPGing.

It's really simple and good! I also like a couple of its descendants:

Trophy Dark, designed for one-shots about doomed adventurers, with a cunning 5-part adventure format. I've had good fun with this. It's available in this Codex anthology.

And Cthulhu Deep Green, a tribute to Delta Green using Cthulhu Dark mechanics. It explores the twin horrors of modern Mythos conspiracies and work-life balance.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Just played the first season of a 2 part funnel game using the play test rules for Freebooters on the Frontier 2nd Edition. Playing in a biweekly Monster of the Week game where we flirt with the dark side while occasionally stopping monsters. Going to be playing in a game of A Town Called Malice (Nordic Noir) soon.

Nebulous

Legend
From pp 92-93:

Choose one precept of your religion:​
• Your religion preaches the sanctity of suffering, add Petition: Suffering​
• Your religion is cultish and insular, add Petition: Gaining Secrets​
• Your religion has important sacrificial rites, add Petition: Offering​
• Your religion believes in trial by combat, add Petition: Personal Victory​
Divine Guidance
When you petition your deity according to the precept of your religion, you are granted some useful knowledge or boon related to your deity’s domain. The GM will tell you what.​

I think that this move can put distinctive demands on the GM - especially deciding whether to go with a boon or a soft GM move. But I think it's reasonably clear how it works: When a player describes their character doing something that triggers a move, that move happens and its rules apply (p 18). So if the cleric does something that falls under the petition that pertains to their precept (ie suffers, gains a secret, makes an offering or achieves a personal victory) then the move has been made and the GM has to do his/her bit..

For instance, if the cleric whose religion believes in trial by combat achieves a personal victory, then s/he has made the Divine Guidance move and hence the GM tells her what boon or knowledge s/he receives. Suppose her deity's domain is Civilisation, then maybe the cleric gains insight into the customs of the defeated enemy (say +1 forward to next Parley attempt against a similar sort of being). Or maybe the PC gains a vision of the larger threat of which the defeated foe is a harbinger (Reveal an Unwelcome Truth).
I posted that in discord for the cleric player to read. We play this evening.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
First, one of the players is running a bit of Don't Rest Your Head - in which you play characters so fatigued by insomnia that they break through into the land of dreams and nightmares. This game usually doesn't run for too long - characters either resolve the issues that caused their insomnia and return to normal life, crash fast asleep so that the nightmares catch them, or go mad and become a nightmare themselves...
Holy Svirfneblin Batman, this game is awesome. I'm giving it a close read and I'm maybe half way through and I have already fallen deeply and madly in love with the dice mechanics. Thanks for the recommendation.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases