Best 1st Edition adventure?

Your favorite old school D&D adventure (s)...

• A series: Scourge of the Slave Lords

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • T series: Temple of Elemental Evil

• D-G series: The Drow and Giant series (they go together right?)

Votes: 35 28.5%
  • s1: Tomb of Horrors

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • s2: White Plume Mountain

• ??: Cult of the Reptile God (nostalgic for me)

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • The Desert of Desolation

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • The Bloodstone Trilogy

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • WG4: Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Other: I'm can't fit em' all!!!!!

Votes: 21 17.1%

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Davelozzi said:

I also love this series but I have to disgree on how it breaks down. I agree that Oasis of the White Palm (#2) is excellent, I think that Pharoah (#1) is far better than the Lost Tomb of Martek (#3) which I thought had some unnecessarily silly parts.

You are right about some unnecessary silliness in #3; what I liked about it was the alternate dimensions that you had to enter to recover bits of the crystal minarets - gave me great mental pictures of the scenes!

Ace

Adventurer
I always thought though A-D and G were one series?

My 3e dream would be to have a dedicated enough group to run that classic multi adventure multi world epic with one group of players top to bottom.

Storm Raven

First Post
Ace said:
I always thought though A-D and G were one series?

Originally they were not. The G-D-Q series was written to follow one after another going from fighting giants, through the Vault of the Drow to attempting to destroy Lolth herself in the Demonweb.

However, the A series was originally designed without reference to the G-D-Q series, as a standalone. Later, when the A series was released as a supermodule and the G-D-Q series was released as the super module Queen of the Spiders they were tied together by a fairly loose plot, but that was a retrofit.

If I remember correctly, the T1-8 Temple of Elemental Evil was also retrofitted into the series as well, creating a series of adventures designed to take the PCs from first level through hunting demons in the Abyss.

War Golem

First Post
Against the Giants gets my vote, hands down, but in truth, there were a number of classic 1e modules I never played (White Plume, Lost Caverns) so I’m not sure if the competition is fairly balanced.

I ran some groups through the G series and started the D series, never finished. Never got to Q, but that one seemed to lose the feel of the G&D mods, so it never appealed to me much anyway.

But the GDQ series was just so crammed with cool stuff – giants, drow, illithid, all of which are still some of my favorite monsters in the game. Less so for the drow, I suppose, but remember GDQ was long before Drizzt and FR came into their own; the drow then were fresh, and wicked, and delightfully evil. I loved just reading through the entire D1-3 series, and just being in awe of the scope and possibilities of such a massive underground campaign, and all the assorted nasties running around down there. And the art – some of the pictures for the drow in those mods are just so classic. The drow/vampire pic on the back cover of Vault of the Drow is awesome, and I’ve always really liked all the giants on the full-color cover of the collected G1-3 module.

There’s a lot of nostalgia here, no doubt. But I don’t mind.
:)

Ace

Adventurer
Storm Raven said:

Originally they were not. The G-D-Q series was written to follow one after another going from fighting giants, through the Vault of the Drow to attempting to destroy Lolth herself in the Demonweb.

However, the A series was originally designed without reference to the G-D-Q series, as a standalone. Later, when the A series was released as a supermodule and the G-D-Q series was released as the super module Queen of the Spiders they were tied together by a fairly loose plot, but that was a retrofit.

If I remember correctly, the T1-8 Temple of Elemental Evil was also retrofitted into the series as well, creating a series of adventures designed to take the PCs from first level through hunting demons in the Abyss.

Thanks for the info.

I have to say that combo would be the ultimate campaign IMO, throw in a few city adventures and side treks and you could game for a few happy years.

ThenHeCame

First Post
the characters (well, the half that survived) came through victorious. Although I pulled a few punches in the two "big" combat encounters,

I just know our DM pulled punches and we all died deep within the abyss ( It was the Abyssian breed Red Dragon and Pazzuzu that did us in ) I think we might have secured the wand if we had time to convince the city of zombies to attack and we got the jump on Orcus, *Maybe*. Still...after tearing the wand from Orcus's cold dead hand, you'd have to run as fast as you could, becuase every demon prince worth is own salt would be chaseing you for that wand. *IF* you escape into the 7 Heavens you only get the pleasure of getting tossed into the 9th Hell in front of Tiamat where you then have to stab this wand into her black heart, then survive the masive explosion that happens afterwards. Bada mojo, thats all I gotta say :)

Remove ads