Best 1st Edition adventure?

Your favorite old school D&D adventure (s)...

• A series: Scourge of the Slave Lords

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • T series: Temple of Elemental Evil

• D-G series: The Drow and Giant series (they go together right?)

Votes: 35 28.5%
  • s1: Tomb of Horrors

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • s2: White Plume Mountain

• ??: Cult of the Reptile God (nostalgic for me)

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • The Desert of Desolation

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • The Bloodstone Trilogy

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • WG4: Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Other: I'm can't fit em' all!!!!!

Votes: 21 17.1%

mattcolville

Adventurer
You didn't vote for it because you didnt play it!

The Bloodstone Pass Trilogy (as it is, since one of the 4 is not an adventure, but a mass-combat supplement) is by far, hands down, the most epic, bad-ass unstoppable module ever. No shahit.

I played through it when it came out and it kicked our party's ass! It would easily stand, if converted, as the best high level module for 3E ever. If you haven't played through it. . .well you haven't played D&D! Amateurs!

I'd love to play the GDQ series--speaking of which, would it be worthwhile to download the PDF from the WotC site? But alas, I never did get to play it. I think my grandmother did when she played D&D with her son--but it might have been just the Queen of the Demonweb Pits. My best experiences (and most of my 1e experiences for that matter) were in T1-4 The Temple of Elemental Evil (and that lovely little hamlet of Hommlet)

Mixmaster

Explorer
C2: Ghost Tower of Inverness

S4: The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth

S2: White Plume Mountain

(modified to AD&D) X2: Castle Amber

All of these adventures I have run many times, with many different groups, and it never fails to please.

Holy Bovine

First Post
kenjib said:
I voted for other, and my choice is Dwellers of the Forbidden City. It is completely non-linear, has many side-treks, completely expandable, insertable into just about any setting and plotline (you can easily change the character and motives of the head honcho), it's a completely classic and evocative concept (a dystopian Shangri-La of sorts whose ultimate literary roots lie in the Garden of Eden - TONS of ideas, symbolism, and imagery, to work with here), and has a really nice Tarzan/Conan feel to it. Plus, I believe it introduced the Yuan-Ti, which are one of my favorite creatures because of their old skool fantasy pulpiness. It introduced other nice creatures like the mongrelmen, tasloi, cave fisher, and I believe the bullywugs as well.

I give it three thumbs up.

**sound of hoof smacking forehead **

Ow.

How could I have forgotten this gem? I'll have to place it in a tie with B1. This is a great adventure for all the reasons kenjib mentioned above and heartily recommend it. If I remmeber correctly thereis even a very well done conversion of it in the conversion library on the ENWorld main page.

Cyronax

Explorer
Giants and Drow

I just found the Descent into the Depths adventure at my local gaming store last week. I can only imagine how badass that adventure must have been to play through back in the day. I mean that adventure first introduced the drow, the kuo-toa, and "the" D&D Underdark for the first time.

So was the revamped 2nd edition module Against the Giants (i think is the name) that came out for Greyhawk three years ago up to par? I'm thinking of ordering it from Wotc.

C.I.D.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
William Ronald said:
G-D-Q (Against the Giants, Descent into the Underdark, Queen of the Demonweb Pits.) The characters save their homelands, their world, and incidentally help several other worlds as well.

best series ever!

Cyronax

Explorer
The Giants and Drow Win!!!!

Well, the Giants and Drow adventure series even beat the "Other" category. I gotta track down this adventure.....

Anyway, my vote still goes for ToEE and Against the Cult of the Reptile God. Desert of Desolation IMO comes in third. Of course, I still haven't seen some of these adventures before.....

C.I.D.

drowdude

First Post
D-G series of course ;)

Dont forget Q!!!

This was the series that really made drow synonymous with "kewl" for me.

Then of course I read the Dark Elf Trilogy.......
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

EOL

First Post
N5 Under Illefarn

I'm not sure why, but N5: Under Illefarn (which no one has mentioned thus far) has always held a special place in my heart, perhaps it's the detail of Daggerford and the surrounding area, maybe it's the way it has of getting the party together at level 1, or possibly it's the intricate open-ended dungeon crawl at the end. I've started several campaigns in good-old Daggerford. Maybe it's just a soft spot for modules using the Unearthed Arcana rules...

Remove ads