Best 1st Edition adventure?

Your favorite old school D&D adventure (s)...

• A series: Scourge of the Slave Lords

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • T series: Temple of Elemental Evil

• D-G series: The Drow and Giant series (they go together right?)

Votes: 35 28.5%
  • s1: Tomb of Horrors

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • s2: White Plume Mountain

• ??: Cult of the Reptile God (nostalgic for me)

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • The Desert of Desolation

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • The Bloodstone Trilogy

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • WG4: Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Other: I'm can't fit em' all!!!!!

Votes: 21 17.1%

Gez

First Post
Re: bloodstone bloodiness......

Cyronax said:
.......i never played or saw that adventure in person. I only remember how much praise i'd heard about it. Thus I put it on my list. The poll, as incomplete as it is, was hastily written and I did it all from memory. The Bloodstone quartet (?) was also the first place I remember seeing people mention the name Orcus, so I had to put that on the list....seeing as how much I dig the Lord of Undeath.

Hastily written: You can't edit it ?

Bloodstone Quartet: It sounds funny. It could be a rock band. More seriously, solo, duo, trio, quartet, quintet, etc. are for orchestraes. Bilogy, trilogy (The Lord of the Ring), tetralogy (Das Ring dem Nibelungen), quintalogy, hexalogy, heptalogy, octalogy, nonalogy (Star Wars, once completed), decalogy, etc. are for multipart stories.

So, that's the Bloodstone Tetralogy.

Zhure

First Post
I don't believe you can edit a poll. At least I couldn't figure out how. Doesn't mean it's impossible. I'm less than perfectly observant at 6 AM local time.

Greg

Gez

First Post
I've checked it, and you can't edit polls unless you're a moderator. So, the only way to get a poll edited is by asking a mod to do it. Well, it is surely to avoid cheaters who would change the names of the choice to make them say something else and falsify polls this way. Not that I think such an event would be likely.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
I voted "Others" because one of my fave modules is "THe Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan", though it would be a toss up between that one and of course "Tomb of Horrors."

optimizer

First Post
I enjoyed all of the modules from the late-70s through the early-80s, but the Giants/Drow series is still my favorite. It is the only series where I went through as a player, then later ran it as a DM. I still use the series as inspiration for my own adventures.

Michael

Storm Raven

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
The whole Giants/Drow series. I'm going to convert it.

I need to find this Tomb of Horrors.

Oh, you can pretty much recreate the Tomb of Horrors experience on the fly. Suppose you have 6 PCs. Take the following steps:

(1) Make up six small pieces of paper, one with each PCs name on it. Fold the pieces up and put them in a hat.

(2) Tell the PCs that they see an entrance to a dungeon.

(3) When they go in to the dungeon, describe a room. Make sure there are a few exits, but describe the room any way you like.

(4) After you describe the room, draw a PCs name out of a hat. Tell the PCs, "A herd of zebras and wildebeasts just ran through the room, unavoidably catching (the PC whose name you drew) in their stampede. He is crushed to death, with no saving throw or chance to avoid the stampede".

(5) When the PCs enter the next room, draw another name from the hat, and repeat steps (3) and (4). If a PC is raised or brought back from the dead, put their name back in the hat.

(6) Repeat step (5) until you or the players get bored.

OPTIONAL

(7) Once the PCs have all died at least once, tell them they come in to a room with lots of treasure and a skull. If they touch anything in the room, tell them they all die instantly, so saving throw, and that their souls have been completely destroyed, erasing any chance for a return.

There you go! You have just recreated the Tomb of Horrors experience!

Last edited:

kenjib

First Post
I voted for other, and my choice is Dwellers of the Forbidden City. It is completely non-linear, has many side-treks, completely expandable, insertable into just about any setting and plotline (you can easily change the character and motives of the head honcho), it's a completely classic and evocative concept (a dystopian Shangri-La of sorts whose ultimate literary roots lie in the Garden of Eden - TONS of ideas, symbolism, and imagery, to work with here), and has a really nice Tarzan/Conan feel to it. Plus, I believe it introduced the Yuan-Ti, which are one of my favorite creatures because of their old skool fantasy pulpiness. It introduced other nice creatures like the mongrelmen, tasloi, cave fisher, and I believe the bullywugs as well.

I give it three thumbs up.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Flexor the Mighty! said:
The whole Giants/Drow series. I'm going to convert it.

I need to find this Tomb of Horrors.

I already converted the Tomb of Horrors. Check my site (link is in my sig) and look in the Downloads area.

Remove ads