Best 1st Edition adventure?

Your favorite old school D&D adventure (s)...

• A series: Scourge of the Slave Lords

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • T series: Temple of Elemental Evil

• D-G series: The Drow and Giant series (they go together right?)

Votes: 35 28.5%
  • s1: Tomb of Horrors

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • s2: White Plume Mountain

• ??: Cult of the Reptile God (nostalgic for me)

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • The Desert of Desolation

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • The Bloodstone Trilogy

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • WG4: Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Other: I'm can't fit em' all!!!!!

Votes: 21 17.1%

Darraketh

First Post
Holy Bovine said:
module B1 - In Search of the Unknown

While not "1st edition" it is 'old school' and 'classic' - customizable (even all random if you really want) Big insta-PC or NPC lists. My personal favourite classic D&D module.

Yes, yes, yes. Played during a time when I wasn't quite sure I was doing doing it right. DMing that is. Ahh the memories...

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
T1 - Against the Cult of the Reptile God is hands down the best one.

It is exactly my style -a long investigation (well as long as you want to play it out), lots of NPC interactions, and then nice little dungeon-crawl to wrap it up.

So great. . .

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. Especially with its companion module WG4, Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, S4 is one of the best mini-campaigns ever, and exemplifies the 1e dungeon-crawl in many ways. Plus, you get the booklet of new monsters, spells, and magic items.

Davelozzi

Explorer
I voted Giants & Drow, as IMHO, they best exemplify the classic feel of early AD&D. Although I have to admit that I don't really like the Queen of Demonweb Pits and would probably either rewrite or replace it if I were to run through that series now.

The Desert of Desolation was a close second, and well it might even be as good or better of an adventure as Giants/Drow, it doesn't have quite the level of raw, old school nostalgia going for it as it came out at a later time and had more of a slick, well-polished shine. Same thing with I6 Ravenloft.

If we were talking about OD&D, I'd voted X1 Isle of Dread.
B2 Keep on the Borderlands has a lot of nostalgia value but isn't nearly as interesting.

sppeterson

First Post
Hey! No fair bringing Masks of Nyarlathotep in on this.

I voted for the Slavers series because I thought it was the most interesting as far as being tied together but I probably should have tagged the Giants series since I ran the same group of players through that 3 times.

Bloodstone had the distinction of being used in one Champions game practically as is; the monsters throw enough damage dice in that module to punch through 35 points or resistant defenses plus 50% damage reduction.

Fast Learner

First Post
I chose S2: White Plume Mountain because it introduced me (as a DM) to the great fun of intelligent weapons.

We did run Tomb of Horrors more than any other module, though, for similar reasons as a previous poster.

All fun stuff, though: I have fond memories of almost all of them.

DungeonKeeperUK

First Post
Can't choose can't choose.... mind hurty

It would be hard to chose, but I think the ones that stand out from the early days in my mind would have to be..

White Plume Mountain
Ravenloft
Castle Amber
Tomb of Horrors
Docs Isle & Egg of the Pheonix (RPGA modules)
Keep on the Borderlands :)

but my favourite would have to be the Slaver series, loved those adventures, flowed lovely and loads of opportunity in tehm....

Zhure

First Post
I retardedly clicked "other" even though like at least two other posters I thought S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth and WG4 the Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun were the absolute best.

Who can forget the introduction of the WAND OF FORCE! I both played in and later ran these two adventures. I've since lost the modules themselves, but the memories remain happily with me.

::happy monkey of doom dance::
Greg

Remove ads