• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best 1st Edition adventure?

Your favorite old school D&D adventure (s)...

• A series: Scourge of the Slave Lords

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • T series: Temple of Elemental Evil

• D-G series: The Drow and Giant series (they go together right?)

Votes: 35 28.5%
  • s1: Tomb of Horrors

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • s2: White Plume Mountain

• ??: Cult of the Reptile God (nostalgic for me)

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • The Desert of Desolation

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • The Bloodstone Trilogy

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • WG4: Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Other: I'm can't fit em' all!!!!!

Votes: 21 17.1%

Darraketh

First Post
Holy Bovine said:
module B1 - In Search of the Unknown

While not "1st edition" it is 'old school' and 'classic' - customizable (even all random if you really want) Big insta-PC or NPC lists. My personal favourite classic D&D module.

Yes, yes, yes. Played during a time when I wasn't quite sure I was doing doing it right. DMing that is. Ahh the memories...

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
T1 - Against the Cult of the Reptile God is hands down the best one.

It is exactly my style -a long investigation (well as long as you want to play it out), lots of NPC interactions, and then nice little dungeon-crawl to wrap it up.

So great. . .

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. Especially with its companion module WG4, Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, S4 is one of the best mini-campaigns ever, and exemplifies the 1e dungeon-crawl in many ways. Plus, you get the booklet of new monsters, spells, and magic items.

Davelozzi

Explorer
I voted Giants & Drow, as IMHO, they best exemplify the classic feel of early AD&D. Although I have to admit that I don't really like the Queen of Demonweb Pits and would probably either rewrite or replace it if I were to run through that series now.

The Desert of Desolation was a close second, and well it might even be as good or better of an adventure as Giants/Drow, it doesn't have quite the level of raw, old school nostalgia going for it as it came out at a later time and had more of a slick, well-polished shine. Same thing with I6 Ravenloft.

If we were talking about OD&D, I'd voted X1 Isle of Dread.
B2 Keep on the Borderlands has a lot of nostalgia value but isn't nearly as interesting.

sppeterson

First Post
Hey! No fair bringing Masks of Nyarlathotep in on this.

I voted for the Slavers series because I thought it was the most interesting as far as being tied together but I probably should have tagged the Giants series since I ran the same group of players through that 3 times.

Bloodstone had the distinction of being used in one Champions game practically as is; the monsters throw enough damage dice in that module to punch through 35 points or resistant defenses plus 50% damage reduction.

Fast Learner

First Post
I chose S2: White Plume Mountain because it introduced me (as a DM) to the great fun of intelligent weapons.

We did run Tomb of Horrors more than any other module, though, for similar reasons as a previous poster.

All fun stuff, though: I have fond memories of almost all of them.

DungeonKeeperUK

First Post
Can't choose can't choose.... mind hurty

It would be hard to chose, but I think the ones that stand out from the early days in my mind would have to be..

White Plume Mountain
Ravenloft
Castle Amber
Tomb of Horrors
Docs Isle & Egg of the Pheonix (RPGA modules)
Keep on the Borderlands :)

but my favourite would have to be the Slaver series, loved those adventures, flowed lovely and loads of opportunity in tehm....

Zhure

First Post
I retardedly clicked "other" even though like at least two other posters I thought S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth and WG4 the Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun were the absolute best.

Who can forget the introduction of the WAND OF FORCE! I both played in and later ran these two adventures. I've since lost the modules themselves, but the memories remain happily with me.

::happy monkey of doom dance::
Greg

Remove ads