Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Vigor

Votes: 57 34.3%
  • Other (not in a discipline)

Votes: 11 6.6%

Myrkveth

First Post
I love psionics

Mind Thrust, Inertial Armor, and Demoralize are my favs.

Entangling Ectoplasm can be good for role-playing as well as combat - "he hit be with a ball of snot!" (c:

I've never apprecaited Attraction though.

This has got to be the first Psionics poll question I've ever seen. Not a popular topic with most folks, I guess.

Dracomeander

First Post
Energy Ray, Inertial Armor, Matter Agitation, and Skate are usually my first choices.

Energy Ray or Crystal Shard are necessary if you want your psion to be able to do direct damage to a foe.

Inertial Armor is a good persistent defense that scales with the character.

Matter Agitation doesn't have to be used for direct damage. It is good for that if a bit on the slow side, but it is also good for providing a distraction. I think I've used it as often for starting a fire to distract a crowd or some guards as I've used it do deal damage.

As for Skate, mobility is a key in many situations. Also its abilityyy to make objects easierr to move can be a godsend at times.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Catfall, energy ray, and far hand.

Most people think of energy ray purely as a combat spell, but the ability to summon small amounts of fire nearly endlessly is far more useful outside of combat. Sonic rays are good signalling devices. Cold rays can be used to fight environmental fires or to form protection against normal heat.

Electrical rays don't become very useful unless you're in a PL5 or higher campaign-- but they're still good in combat.

In combat, of course, your ability to switch energy types on demand is incredibly useful when dealing with creatures that are resistant or immune-- or better, vulnerable-- to one or more energy types.

Catfall isn't a great power unaugmented, but the higher level you are, the less you have to worry about falling. You can also use it to get around a number of obstacles.

Far Hand is just the augmentable psionic version of my favorite 0th-level spell, mage hand. Flip levers, grab keys, snuff torches-- this spell will drive most puzzle-happy DMs mad, and can be used to derail numerous PCs-in-prison plots.

I should've voted for far punch, too-- great way to cover your escape through a crowd.

Yeoman

First Post
Energy Ray, Crystal Shard, Precognition (Defensive/Offensive), Prescience (Offensive)

Energy Ray is useful for many reasons, simple energy damage, breaking objects (sonic), starting fires, and other things.

Crystal Shard is useful for unstoppable damage, which is always good.

Prescience and Precognition are just useful to enhance yourself with and because of the augmentation stay useful over your entire campaign.

I wanted to say Mind Thrust, but it's just too easy to defeat to be in the top tier of powers. Great when it works though :)

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
If the DM allows the Hidden Talent feat, Mind Thrust is a wonderful power to take as a psychic warrior.
And Astral Construct is amazing...

arwink

Clockwork Golem
It's hardly the optimal choice, but my light has been a choice in almost every 1st level psi-character I've seen my games. For some reason the players really groove on the beams of light shooting out of their eyes.

MadMaxim

First Post
Energy ray, force screen, inertial armor and mind thrust.

Energy ray (and all the other energy powers for that matter) proves exactly why psionics are superior to their magical counterparts. The ability to choose the energy type can be endlessly useful and keep any DM on his toes. Sure, you have to augment them to get the maximum damage output, but I consider that a minor cost compared to the flexibility of the power.

Force screen and inertial armor are so superior to shield and mage armor it almost hurts... Sure, shield stops magic missiles, but that's the only point where shield is superior. The fact that you can augment both give higher bonusses make them far superior to their arcane counterparts, and don't get me started on greater mage armor giving a +6 armor bonus as a 3rd-level spell... That's just horrible...

Mind thrust is just plain wicked... Okay, you get a Will save for no damage, but for 1d10 points of damage per point, it sure looks like a winner to me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads