Best 3-person party?

Well, I appreciate all the advice (and excellent advice it was- as one would expect from the ENWorld community:)) but it turned out the game was... not what we were expecting. :erm:

Apparently the GM planned this as a complete one-shot, while us players were expecting at least some kind of continuing campaign. So, as a first-time gaming together (played last saturday) the result was rather underwhelming. It was a very random adventure with two-bit NPCs played for laughs (well, vague laughs and often crude "humor") with an almost idiotic mcguffin to go after. Had we known this going in: 1) I'm not sure we would have gamed with the guy in the first place, and, b) if we had, we wouldn't have put so much effort into building a well-planned party and just gone with whatever craziness we felt like playing. I've got no problem with one-shots played for laughs, but everyone should know that going in. But this game probably wouldn't have been that enjoyable even if we had known what to expect.

Oh well. I guess we'll be looking for another group/DM in the area.

Sorry to hear that. Had a similar experience with a local DM who fancied himself a game designer. So we gamed our entire first session in a very boring town with sterotypical guards and encounters. At the very end no one got experience or to keep loot. He didnt want us to level up because he wanted to run as at his target level through the entire town he created. I dont know if anyone else returned to the game but I didnt.

As a side note the DM in question did NOT say in advance that he was using as a play testers.

Remove ads