• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E best 4e adventures?

pemerton

Legend
It's a long time since I've run a pubishled adventure without tweaking it to fit my campaign/PCs. Often I break a published adventure into its elements and slot these in as the opportunity comes up in a way that makes sense for my game.

That said, I think that H2 has some worthwhile stuff, though I modified it [ur=http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?282788-Demonomicon-ToH-Orcs-of-Stonefang-Pass-and-Vor-Rukoth-in-hand/page3&p=5259918&viewfull=1]as described here[/url] to make it run better.

I also think Heathen (from Dungeon 155) has a number of nice elements, though when I ran most of it the PCs were paragon tier, and so I changed a lot of the mechanical details while keeping some of the maps and the story ideas.

I like some of the maps from Sceptre Tower of Spellgarde, but don't think a lot of it as written.

Quickleaf

Legend
Zeitgeist aside (which everyone says is very good), I've been trying to put together a string of pre-made stuff to take characters from level 1 to 30. Hopefully, stuff I don't have to adjust too many maps and numbers (such as the post-MM3 monster updates published in 2010). Based on this stuff, this is what I have so far (first numbers are character levels):

1-8 ???
9-11 Force of Nature
11-13 King of the Trollhaunt Warrens
13-15 Baba Yaga's Hut
17 ???
18-20 Hall of the Fire Giant King (is it a shame to do this without doing the other G-series conversions first?)
21 The Glorious Hunt
22 Cracks in the Crimson Cage
23 The Tangled Skein of Destiny
24-30 ???

Revenge of the Iron Lich (Fourthcore) would fit your 16th level spot nicely.

Jhaelen

First Post
I second most of what's been suggested so far. In our Eberron group we played and enjoyed both Ashen Crown and the Forge adventure from Dungeon magazine. If we'd continued we'd probably have played Nick Logue's trilogy that started in Dungeon #133 with 'Chimes at Midnight', continued in Dungeon #150 with 'Quoth the Raven' and finished with Dungeon #154 'City of Blood'.

Both 'Reavers of Harkenwold' and 'Thunderspire Labyrinth' made me want to run them. The former was included in the Essentials DM Kit and is a lot like a 4e version of 'Red Hand of Doom' (which was imho the best 3e adventure module), the latter has already been described and stands out from the rest of the HPE series because it spends a significant amount of space describing the region surrounding the actual encounter areas which invite further development by the DM.

And not an adventure per se but still probably the best product in the vein of a campaign kickstarter was 'Hammerfast'. It's meagre 32 pages are chock full with adventure seeds, ideas, npcs and background material. In a way it contains everything that's been sorely missing from the 'true' adventure modules.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
The free RPG day supplement "Domains of Dread: Histhaven" is pretty good as well.

I've never played in any of the Domains of Dread adventures in Dragon but they all have interesting backstories, flavorful antagonists, and (as I recall) more open, not strictly linear plots.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'm a big fan of The Last Breaths of Ashenport. (Dungeon Issue 156)

Really nice water-side village, interesting weather-related problems, many roleplay opportunities, and a deep, dark secret (demon-related) that drives the players into a delve at the end for a bit of dungeoncrawling.

My list of "Favs" of 4E
Best 4E Adventures (any source)

TitleLevelSourceLength
1Tomb of Horrors DM Reward9DM Reward4
2Undermountain Boxed Set1print12
3Face of the Moon17Dungeon Mag5
4Blood Money8Dungeon Mag1-2
5Entire "Dungeon Delve" bookallprint1
6Encounters Season #7 Beyond Crystal Cave1Dungeon Mag3
7Bark at the Moon6Dungeon Mag3
8Lord of the White Field6Dungeon Mag3
9Steading of Hill Giant Chief12Dungeon Mag
10Encounters Season #2 Dark Sun1store only4
12The Slaying Stone1print3-4
13Dead for a Spell8Dungeon Mag4
14Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan7Dungeon Mag6
11Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl16Dungeon Mag6
15Madness at Gardmore Abbey6print12
16Five Deadly Shadows8Dungeon Mag2
17Red Box Adventure (Twisted Halls)1print2
18Some Assembly Required1Dungeon Mag3
22Keep on the Shadowfell1print9
19Starhaunt16Dungeon Mag4-5
20Winter of the Witch22Dungeon Mag4-5
21Trollhaunt Warrens11print9
I havent played the following, but they look really good: Infernal Wrath - Dungeon Mag, Captain Slygo's Treasure, Prey for Smiley Bob, D&D Encounters #9 amd #10, Beneath the Dust (Dark Sun), Heart of the Forbidden Forge, War of the Burning Sky (1-30)<-my touchy-feely friends say this is the best ever.

I absolutely hated: Everything after Keep on Shadowfell, except the Troll one. (Played them all to lvl 30). The Revenge of the Giants (huge book) sucked, Orcs of Stonefang sucked, Scepter Tower of Spellguard sucked

Baba Yaga's Hut is just too big, and not a good fit for 4E, it would better as D&D Next, The Village of Hommlet DM Reward would be awesome if I weren't a grognard angry at the missing Green Slime!! and the Frogs were too easy.

I never finished "Reavers of Harkenwold" but it was fun and I was looking forward to storming the castle.

Last edited:

Agatheron

First Post
I will also put in a pitch for "Reavers of Harkenwold" which is included in the Essentials Dungeon Master's Kit box. Excellent adventure. I've had to upscale mine as I'm doing it as a follow-on to Keep on the Shadowfell, and as such, my guys are now 4th level. Reavers is a nice contrast to Shadowfell, which I did like, but instead of it being a series of combat encounters with Roleplaying interludes, Reavers is far more a Roleplaying adventure with encounters as interludes/connectors to move the plot forward. I start my group with Reavers this coming Friday. Also, because I've upscaled reavers from 2-4 to 4-6, I've also made a direct link to have Reavers follow into the already mentioned and excellent Madness at Gardmore Abbey.

the Jester

Legend
I really, really like P2, Demon Queen's Enclave, but when I ran it I really played up all the factions and politics and my players totally bought into it.

P1 is pretty good too- King of the Trollhaunt Warrens- and does a great job of building up a bad guy in the pcs' eyes.

I think H2, Thunderspire Labyrinth, would make a great sandbox area if expanded properly.

Oh, and the 4e Tomb of Horrors book (with adventures to spread throughout a campaign from heroic to epic levels) is great IMHO (or at least the first half- I haven't run anything past that).

Remove ads