• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E best 4e adventures?

S'mon

Legend
I really, really like P2, Demon Queen's Enclave, but when I ran it I really played up all the factions and politics and my players totally bought into it.

I think H2, Thunderspire Labyrinth, would make a great sandbox area if expanded properly.

This was exactly my thinking on these two. I couldn't see any way to make P1 Trollhaunt not be alternately grindy & railroady though, but I'm planning to go back to it in a year or two. I have this idea that it might work well as part of an Arthurian-meets-Game of Thrones Paragon campaign where the PCs are the Lords of Nentir Vale, dealing with Therund to the south, the Skalmad threat perhaps forming an impetus towards political reunification.

I'm looking to run P2 this year; it looks like it can work as a political/sandbox/infiltration adventure with a short high-combat climax, being very careful not to get sucked in by the staging of the 'delve' encounters and remember that most of these creatures are NOT supposed to attack immediately, ie go with what the 32pp story-book says and ignore the 64p encounter-book as far as possible. Even some of the Orcus encounters look like they would work better as potential roleplay encounters.

H2 looks like a good basis for a sandbox megadungeon mini-campaign, perhaps starting at below 3rd level but will need a lot of work to flesh out. I'm thinking that might be a fun task to start over Xmas 2013 when I'll have a few weeks. :D

the Jester

Legend
I'm looking to run P2 this year; it looks like it can work as a political/sandbox/infiltration adventure with a short high-combat climax, being very careful not to get sucked in by the staging of the 'delve' encounters and remember that most of these creatures are NOT supposed to attack immediately, ie go with what the 32pp story-book says and ignore the 64p encounter-book as far as possible. Even some of the Orcus encounters look like they would work better as potential roleplay encounters.

Exactly. Though I tweaked it heavily, in my campaign, the pcs ended up negotiating with
the Matron Mother, the drider in the first encounter, the cambion in the middle, a bunch of other Drow, the keeper, the death hags, the death knight and maybe more.

Balesir

Adventurer
In P2 negotiation should definitely be stressed - with the NPCs pushing to see how far they can get the PCs to trust them, and how much they can get the PCs to do to further their own agendas while "helping them with their mission".

The main thing to watch is that using non-force doesn't deny treasure, as otherwise it'll seem like a mug's game...

S'mon

Legend
Exactly. Though I tweaked it heavily, in my campaign, the pcs ended up negotiating with
the Matron Mother, the drider in the first encounter, the cambion in the middle, a bunch of other Drow, the keeper, the death hags, the death knight and maybe more.

Thanks - the DK (Lord Dust?) especially looked like a really obvious place for a cool roleplay encounter, no matter what the module says! :D

S'mon

Legend
In P2 negotiation should definitely be stressed - with the NPCs pushing to see how far they can get the PCs to trust them, and how much they can get the PCs to do to further their own agendas while "helping them with their mission".

The main thing to watch is that using non-force doesn't deny treasure, as otherwise it'll seem like a mug's game...

I use Inherent Bonuses in the campaign, so treasure is less of an issue. Plus the HPE modules are terribly stingy anyway. :lol:

Balesir

Adventurer
I use Inherent Bonuses in the campaign, so treasure is less of an issue. Plus the HPE modules are terribly stingy anyway. :lol:
Inherent bonuses will help, I guess. I had PCs negotiating with the Mages of Saruun (who didn't want their underdark trading screwed up) as well as the drow factions and so on during the scenario, so I had plenty of justification for "ex-loota" benefits...

sabrinathecat

Explorer
The ones we made ourselves. They were much more fun than the published modules. As DMs and Players. DMs had more vested interest because we got to see the encounters and stories we created come together or fall apart. As players, we knew we were getting something unique.
Almost all the pre-made modules had problems. Some minor, some major.

frandallfarmer

Explorer
I havent played the following,...Prey for Smiley Bob,

I absolutely hated...Scepter Tower of Spellgard sucked

I never finished "Reavers of Harkenwold" but it was fun and I was looking forward to storming the castle.

Of these three, Prey for Smiley Bob was probably least satisfying for me - at least it was only a one-shot. Check out my paper terrain over on the wizards forums (will post links and photos here as soon as this silly board decides I'm not a n00b.)

I can see why you disliked the Scepter Tower of Spellgard - I sliced 2/3 out (the players went straight to assaulting the tower...), added paper terrain, and the players had a good time. You can see photos and download my audio clips of "The Reading of the Analects of Kuryon" at WotC as well... I did have to add a big finale as well...

The Reavers of Harkenwold is pretty good, especially for new players. Again, my group short-circuited most of the keep (there is a back-door, after all...)

frandallfarmer

Explorer
As promised:

- Prey for Smiley Bob with paper terrain: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29763477/Prey_for_Smiley_Bob_with_paper_terrain...

img_2344.jpeg

- Scepter Tower of Spellgard: http://community.wizards.com/go/thr..._of_Spellgard__-_3D_Paper_Terrain_(Spoilers!)

IMG_2202.jpg

- Reavers of Harkenwold (several builds by different people):
o http://fatdragongames.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=gallery&action=display&thread=2178
o http://fatdragongames.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=gallery&action=display&thread=1896
o http://fatdragongames.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=gallery&action=display&thread=2140

P1030232.jpg

P1030069.jpg

Remove ads