D&D 5E Best 5E warlock patron for character optimization?

Best 5E warlock pact for character optimization?

• Archfey

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Fiend

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Great Old One

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Undying

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Undying Light (UA)

Votes: 5 13.5%

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Its a tough one...personally, I *like* the Old One the best because I feel it provides a lot more function outside of Combat. The ability to communicate telepathically with anyone is a crazy good feature, not to mention all the Control-based bonus spells. To me it seems the most balanced between not being too Combat or Social focused.

Fiend is probably to "go-to" choice. Not only does it get great Bonus Spells for combat that a Warlock might miss out on otherwise, the bonus HP when killing enemies is a super great feature. The Hurl-Through-Hell feature is also unique and can be a great tool to buy time for one round if things get hairy.

Undying and Undying Light are interesting, but I personally don't see their effectiveness. Fey is kind of the same way. We have a Fey Warlock in our party and I don't feel that Pact does much for her except flavor. Fey Presence has only come in handy a single time, and even then it wasn't incredibly dire.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Went Fiend purely for the Pact Spells. If you can find a Rod of the Pact Keeper, you can do some quite insane damage between Scorching Ray, Eldritch Blast, and multiclassing Sorcerer.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
What are you trying to optimize?

Want some big blasty spells? Go fiend.

Want to go melee? Grab another class first for armor and weapons, go fiend or undying light for the spells or great old one for Entropic Ward or Archfey for Greater Invisibility and Fey Presence. (Plus look at tome lock for shillelagh with some SCAG cantrips vs bladelock - CHR for weapon attacks + BB/GFB is arguably better in melee than a bladelock.)

Want battlefield control? Great old one probably is your bet. Want single target DPR? That can be done by all, but fiend gives you temp HPs for dropping opponents.

I think you get the point.

So "best for optimization" ends up with "they each have their strengths, you'll probably be the most optimized when you are synergized well with your party". Figure out what would be a force multiplier for them and you can pick a warlock pact to help.

All of that said, I'm right now putting together an undying light warlock in case my current character dies in one game. They have less spells added to the list, but Radiant Soul buffs a bunch of them, the other powers fit the group, and thematically he'll get along well with the paladin of Lathander.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
[MENTION=6780961]Yunru[/MENTION] brings up a great point about optimizing warlocks - multiclassing (even just 1 level) with a caster class can give a selection of 1st level spells known (that you can pick to be able to upcast with your warlock slots) plus you gain some 1st level slots for when you don't want to use up a high level warlock slot on a spell like hex.

pdegan2814

First Post
Fiend is probably the most straightforward, especially when it comes to combat. Temp HP, resistance to the damage type of your choice, and Hurl Through Hell is just nasty when you aren't fighting fiends. Though for me, one of the best parts about Warlocks are the roleplay possibilities, and as such my favorite patron type is definitely Archfey :)

mellored

Legend
Depends on the party.

But fiends gets such a large amount of THP it's hard to compete with that, also access to AoE spells that they don't already get. Most others add control spells, but all warlock already get some.

Archfey's greater invisibility makes a close second, especially multiclass into rogue for cunning action or sorcerer for twin.

Remove ads