D&D General Best Adventure Path (spanning 10+ levels) of all time?

Frankie1969

Adventurer
Large but straightforward question: what is the best collection of pre-made adventure content that follows a full story arc from small-time local heroes (preferably starting at level 1, no higher than 4) to world-hopping legends (preferably reaching 20, no lower than 14)?

Not just in 5E. Any edition, including 4E, PF, 13A, or any other system similar enough to translate.

YMMV, but my personal criteria for "best" are:
  1. well-written plot with logical motivation & consequences,
  2. well-written NPCs who merit emotional investment,
  3. well-written scenarios, preferably organized like instructions not like a novella,
  4. well-balanced & interesting challenges, and
  5. not overly complex to DM (Zeitgeist gets dinged on this last point).
I don't know what my answer would be. I have fond memories of (TA)GDQ but I know it doesn't stand up well by modern standards.

Last edited:

I currently own only one part of The Enemy Within, Death on the Reik. Bought it in 1990 or so at a used book store for $7.50, according to the sticker on the back.

What recommendation do you have (or anyone else) to get a copy of the other parts?
I’d buy the newest versions for WHFRP 4e. They are very well done. Each has a companion volume with information about the empire, adjunct adventures, relevant context for the main adventure and more. Plus they (and the whole WHFRP 4e line) are really pretty books.

Voadam

Legend
I currently own only one part of The Enemy Within, Death on the Reik. Bought it in 1990 or so at a used book store for $7.50, according to the sticker on the back.

What recommendation do you have (or anyone else) to get a copy of the other parts?
PDFs of the original entire WFRP 1e Enemy Within set are available here.

PDFs of the current WFRP 4e Enemy Within set are available here. More material but about twice as expensive each. They are also available in print.

Frankie1969

Adventurer
I also shout out for the Enemy Within campaign. It’s probably the most fun to read and Dm I’ve ever seen. NPCs are very important and detailed. Scenarios are interesting. Lots of investigation and roleplaying.

If I was converting it to 5e D&D I wouldn’t try and make D&D like WFRP that is a tall order. I would just port across the scenarios, NPCs, monsters, locations and plot. Let players play whatever they want to play.

You’ll need to do a bit of work with challenges as most human bandits aren’t a challenge in 5e where as in WFRP they could be. Slow down progression and run it level 1-10. Make daemons really tough.
Having read some more about Enemy Within: instead of going from 1st Tier to 3rd or 4th, it goes from 0th Tier to 2nd. In WFRP, starting PCs are basically commoners with skill or two, and late-game PCs are still very mortal.
It would be a very different experience from a typical d20 adventure path. Not necessarily bad, though.

TheSword

Legend
Having read some more about Enemy Within: instead of going from 1st Tier to 3rd or 4th, it goes from 0th Tier to 2nd. In WFRP, starting PCs are basically commoners with skill or two, and late-game PCs are still very mortal.
It would be a very different experience from a typical d20 adventure path. Not necessarily bad, though.
I’m not sure I agree. WFRP are actually fairly robust. Resolve and Fortune mean that I think it’s actually quite difficult to die in the Enemy Within. Certainly up to the end of Power Behind the Throne. It just remains a possibility.

A warrior based character can kill another character in two to three hits or so.

I’ve ran Shadows Over Bogenhafen in Pathfinder at level 3 and it worked fine. More than fine actually.

Remove ads