D&D 5E Best Class For A Horse Archer?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
You can use my homebrew Path of the Rider for barbarian.

Really it depends if you are going for a trained archer who excels in horsemanship or if you are going for the more natural occurrence of a horse-based nomad who takes up the most logical weapons.

HORSE ARCHER
Starting at the 3rd level, you can channel your rage into the accuracy of your shots. While raging you can add your Rage Damage Bonus to ranged attacks with thrown weapons and ranged weapons without the loading property.

BORN IN THE SADDLE
Starting at 3rd level, your mastery as a rider becomes apparent. You have advantage on saving throws made to avoid falling off your mount. If you fall off your mount and descend no more than 10 feet, you can land on your feet if you’re not incapacitated.

Finally, mounting or dismounting a creature costs you only 5 feet of movement, rather than half your speed.

WILD RIDER
Beginning at 6th level, you have advantage on any check you make to remain mounted or in a chariot.

MOUNTED RAIDER
At the 6th level, you have learned to hit hard with the weapons of the horsemen. Choose one of the following options.
At the 14th, you can choose another option. You can't take a Mounted Raider option more than once.

Mounted Archer: You can add your Strength modifier to damage rolls with shortbows and longbows.

Mounted Lancer: You can add your Dexterity modifier to damage rolls with halberds, lances, and pikes.

Mounted Skirmisher: You can add your Constitution modifier to damage rolls with handaxes, javelins, and spears.

Mounted Swordsman: You can add your Dexterity modifier to damage rolls with longswords and scimitars.

BOWYER
At the 6th level, you gain proficiency with woodcarver's tools if you don't already.
With one week of work using a woodcarver's and expending 50
gp worth of materials, you can create a personal bow or modify an existing bow. This bow can be a shortbow or longbow.
You can use Strength instead of Dexterity for ranged attack and damage rolls with a personal or modified bow.

WILD RIDER
Beginning at 6th level, you have advantage on any check you make to remain mounted or in a chariot.

CRAZED CHARGER
At the 10th level, when you use your action to Dash you can make one melee weapon attack.
Additionally, your rage does not end if you or your mount performs a Dash action provided you have moved closer to an enemy.

RAGE OF THE HOOVES
At the 14th level, your rage links your mind to your mount. When you rage, you gain the following effects.

As an action, you can choose for a mount you are controlling to gain the effects of you rage. Their rage ends when your rage ends.
Your unarmed strike while raging deals 1d12 bludgeoning damage.
You can make a unarmed strike or command a raging mount you are within 5 feet of to make a melee attack as a bonus action.

Aldarc

Legend
The best class is whatever the horse archer decides:

1274282300.alassa_gitann (1).jpg

Weiley31

Legend
I'm gonna be honest here... if I was gonna go warlock, I'd dress 'em as a cowboy (leather armor!) and not bother with the pact weapons, and just flavor their eldritch blast as finger-guns. And still be a centaur, 'cause a cowboy centaur shooting people with their magical finger guns is pretty awesome.

But I think I've wandered from the original concept.
Technically, if you use the Modern Magic UA, you can make your Warlock Pact Weapon into a Ranged Weapon(Gun).

But I also like the idea of your Eldritch Blast being flavored into a Spectral Witch Gun that fires Eldritch Bullets so Finger Guns work too.

auburn2

Adventurer
I don't think you need a new class, do an archer build centered around a fighter or a Ranger.

As far as your tricks, make them skillchecks doing animal handling or acrobatics checks depending on what it is. You could also add a proficiency for mounts, like land vehicles, but without the vehicle.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Have you considered the Battlesmith?
Not only do you get a robo-dog (which small races can ride), you can infuse your bow (or even better crossbow), and you can even give the dog some magic items so that they can do cool tricks.
Small race Battlesmith certainly gets around some of the issues with other mounted characters, as does small race with Beast Master. I'd probably flavor either one as a pony, just because I don't think that I can quite make the concept work in my head with a wolf or dog. Halfling with dinosaur works, for some reason, but not canine.
You can use my homebrew Path of the Rider for barbarian.

Really it depends if you are going for a trained archer who excels in horsemanship or if you are going for the more natural occurrence of a horse-based nomad who takes up the most logical weapons.
Looks good, but tbh I'd just make them use Strength for attack and damage for bows at level 3.

Remove ads