D&D 5E Best Class Plus Race Level 1

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Is 5e advancement pretty quick at the beginning?
Yes. Assuming the DM follows the 6-8 encounter a day guideline, getting to 2nd level takes from half a session to one session, getting to 3rd level takes one to two sessions, and getting to fourth takes about two sessions. After that it slows down quite a bit, and getting to 6th level especially takes longer than most.

Zardnaar

Legend
For strongest melee force:

If you're expecting the game to end before level 3, I'd go Human Variant War Cleric with Great Weapon Master.
If you're going to end between 3rd and 5th level, Moon Druid is the way to go. I like the Aasimar for the bonus damage and flight. Moon druid edges out the War Cleric by a hair at levels 3 and 4, but if you don't want to melee it up as a bear, War cleric is also really strong until it is bypassed at 5th level by the Multi-attack classes.
If you're running 6 to 11 levels, I'd go Vengeance Paladin - Human Variant (again for either Great Weapon Master, or perhaps for Sentinel if you want a defense boost and are willing to give up some offense).
If you're going to Run 12 or more Levels, you want a Battlemaster or Eldritch Knight to maximize the melee damage.

However, the class I've had the most fun running as a melee PC was a Hexblade. Armor of Agathys, and Hex are great ways to keep you competitive in damage, and if you get a pearl of power, rod of the pact keeper or other way to get a bonus slot, your extra spell can do wonders. Also, as you can also be very effective with Eldritch blasts, and do a variety of tricks outside your melee capabilities, you won't get that 'slufest boredom' that many melee only PCs get over a long haul. At 11th level, you tend to bloom into something that feels like a powerful spellcaster on top of your melee abilities (which wane a bit at that point).

IDK. I'm not expecting level 6, hopefully 3 or 4.

If I'm wrong I don't care. Consistency level 1-10 is what I look for in power levels.

Zardnaar

Legend
I dont get this whole 'best' class to play.

Just play what you want to play. Like you said, it's unlikely this is any kind of long term campaign. Just create whatever sounds fun to you.

It's not so much for me. I'm just gonna play whatever's needed so if new player wants fighter type and we have two other melee characters I'll aim for a hybrid character.

It's not so much for me. I'm just gonna play whatever's needed so if new player wants fighter type and we have two other melee characters I'll aim for a hybrid character.

Man it sounds like a beer and pretzels campaign.

Vuman War Cleric, GWM feat, Greatsword, Chainmail.

You'll be as good as any Fighter, able to heal and bless, and get Bonus action extra swings plus a +10 to land them from 2nd level.

Slightly less durable, but you can dump Dex for Con (heavy armor) and heal yourself as needed.

Zardnaar

Legend
Man it sounds like a beer and pretzels campaign.

Vuman War Cleric, GWM feat, Greatsword, Chainmail.

You'll be as good as any Fighter, able to heal and bless, and get Bonus action extra swings plus a +10 to land them from 2nd level.

Slightly less durable, but you can dump Dex for Con (heavy armor) and heal yourself as needed.

I've got the stats to probably enable that. 16, 15, 14, 13, 12 12 then racial.

Remove ads