• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Cleric Domains

LiL KiNG

First Post
Now I know the topic is completely subjective based on what you want your Cleric to do; healers want the Healing domain of course and undead fighters are probably looking at Glory and Sun among others.
For a combat orientated Cleric though, what are some good domains to snag?

War
, if your deity has it (we're in the FR setting, but any setting's material is allowed), always seems good for the weapon proficiency and free Weapon Focus feat. +1 to hit is always a good thing and as a bonus feat that is so much better than wasting a level feat slot on it.

Retribution
seems fun for the 1/day maximized damage on an attack (wish this was powered by Turning!). The large +2 greataxe this cleric is using would be nasty with this ability.

I don't recall the name but there is a domain I saw that grants Uncanny Dodge as its power - awesome, but the monster I'm going to give a level or two of Cleric to has Natural Cunning which already prevents it from being flat-footed. Imp. Uncanny Dodge would be nice but I feel like I've seen a vision based feat that prevents flankers from getting an attack bonus, or a reduced bonus or something. I realize he could still lose his Dex bonus to AC from being immobilized or attacked by someone invisible, so Uncanny Dodge is still a decent option at least.

So, for your battle themed Clerics, which domains do you prefer?

[I should mention casting, beyond self buffs/heals, won't be the focus of this Cleric. So domains that add +caster level are not preferred, looking for domains that will directly benefit him in combat as his Cleric level(s) will only give him one or two 1st level spells a day anyway.]

Sekhmet

First Post
Hunger comes to mind. Free bite attack.
Luck is good for low saves.
Fate nets you Uncanny Dodge, which is nice.
Revered Ancestor nets you a free EWP.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
For the Battle Cleric (as I look thru the Domain index. It's a shame Crystalkeep is gone):

-Celerity for the +10 landspeed.
-Competition for the +1 on all opposed checks (Saves, bull rush, etc.).
-Darkness for Blind Fight Feat.
-Dream for immunity to fear effects.
-Fate for Uncanny Dodge.
-Magic for the access to arcane spell completion and spell trigger items.
-Metal for 2 feats, Martial Weapon Proficiency or Exotic Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus with a hammer weapon.
-Passion for the ability to rage # rounds per Cleric level, divided as you wish thru the day.
-Shadow for Blind Fight feat.
-Time for Improved Initiative
-Travel for the automatic triggered Freedom of Movement ability # rounds per Cleric level.
-War for 2 feats, Martial Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus with deities favored weapon.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
Knowledge says "what's up yo? where's the love? trade me out for a devotion and I rock the house."

The Complete Champion also offers guidance on domain equivalencies (page 53) allowing you to acquire Knowledge Devotion with either the Inquisition or Mind domains. I used this guidance to grant my cleric of Heironeous Knowledge Devotion even though the deity normally does not grant access to the Knowledge domain (instead he grants access through the Inquisition domain).

AeroDm

First Post
War and Celerity both offer things you couldn't otherwise get at first level. The 3.0 version of Animal gave you a follower which was ridiculously powerful.

Balance gives wisdom bonus to AC for rounds/level.

Celestial/Destruction/Orc gives a smite attack.

Competition for the +1 on opposed checks.

Elf will give you point blank shot, but doesn't help if you wanted to wade into combat. But if you were to go zen archery ....

Hatred. Gives bonuses versus a single opponent.

Metal gives you proficiency and focus with a hammer of your choice.

Nobility gives you a modified inspire courage.

Renewal auto heals you if you are dying.

Retribution/Wrath lets you attack someone that hit you previously.

Strength for the strength bonus.

Otherwise, you could go for Planning domain to get extend spell and then DMM Persist buff spells. However, that option tends to make people feel dirty and die a little inside.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
The best domain is the one that promotes your cleric's beliefs and idealogy, not the one that gives you a nifty bonus. What does your character believe? What is the cleric trying to promot?

Sekhmet

First Post
The best domain is the one that promotes your cleric's beliefs and idealogy, not the one that gives you a nifty bonus. What does your character believe? What is the cleric trying to promot?

He believes in combat, and promotes the efficient practice thereof.

Time and a place, Samloyal.

Remove ads