Best fencing rules?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Not quite 'fencing' or 'swashbuckling.' More like "sword-fighting where you have to do things more precise than just 'make an attack' and 'do damage.'"

What I kind of envision is a game going like this:

Allar has a scimitar and is wearing leather armor. Broman has a bastard sword and a shield, and is wearing chainmail.

How this looks in Modos RPG, rounds from example are in parenthesis:

TurnActionAllarBromanNotes
B1 (1)
MoveClose to front row
B2 (1)MoveAttackAllar goes defensive, takes 1 dmg
B3 (2)AttackAttackHalf damage attacks from back row
A4 (2)Move
Close distance

Round 2

B5 (3)MoveAttackBroman combines 3 attacks
B6 (3)
AttackAllar in back row, 1/2 dmg
B7 (3)
AttackAllar in back row, 1/2 dmg
A8 (4)Move
Offensive/front row
A9 (4)Attack
Allar chooses disarm instead of dmg

Round 3

B10 (5)ParryAttackUnarmed grab instead of dmg
B11 (6)DrawAttackDraws knife
B12 (7)AttackAttackNeither side defends

Round 4

B13 (8)MoveAttackShove resisted by movement action
B14 (8)AttackUnstrap
B15 (9)AttackParryParry as defensive action
You can imagine where it goes from here...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've never been keen on systems which just have random "dragon" or "tiger" or "wooden chair" styles which may as well just be numbers or letters which just add a bonus or penalty here and there. And paper/scissor/stone type styles are too random (and are still just words which may as well be letters).

I don't know the solution, though. Maybe just a crapload of maneuvers you can learn, and if your opponent knows the counter, he can use it. Or something.

Dungeoneer

First Post
I've never been keen on systems which just have random "dragon" or "tiger" or "wooden chair" styles which may as well just be numbers or letters which just add a bonus or penalty here and there. And paper/scissor/stone type styles are too random (and are still just words which may as well be letters).

I don't know the solution, though. Maybe just a crapload of maneuvers you can learn, and if your opponent knows the counter, he can use it. Or something.
Normal d20 combat has very few 'dimensions': HP, defenses, attack bonuses. If you want to model something specific like the parries and thrusts of a sword fight then you need a new dimension. Maybe more than one. Position is the most obvious one to add.

Here's a real simple system to model a back-and-forth duel, off the top of my head:

- Two combatants start in the middle of the field, which is abstracted as a simple 2D line.
- For this system the combatants should be using roughly equivalent melee weapons.
- Three moves in either direction is a wall. Being up against a wall is bad.
- Attacks are rolled as normal. On a successful attack, in addition to doing damage, a combatant advances one move and their opponent retreats one move.
- Combatants may choose to forego an attack to 'dodge'.
- When a combatant chooses to dodge and their opponent chooses to attack, they do not move back one if they are hit. If their opponent misses, they swap places with them.
- If both combatants choose to dodge, nobody moves and both have their HP reduced by a small increment.
- When a combatant is pushed back against a wall, combat is over and they are at the mercy of their opponent. They lose.

This is a pretty boring system, but I think we could elaborate on it pretty easily. Perhaps we could add more actions, like 'feint' and 'parry'. They might have rock-paper-scissors style interactions. Momentum is another dimension we might want our duel to model. But I think the important thing here is that we've added a new 'win' condition beyond 'drop your opponent to 0 HP'. In turn that introduces some decisions for the players to make.

I'm sure some other folks could add to this or improve it.

Last edited:

Get GURPS and GURPS Martial Arts. Even if you don't use the system as written there are a whole lot of great ideas and a good treatment of martial arts, both real and cinematic.

The system features active defenses, the ability to evaluate your opponent and use the data to actual effect, style familiarities, specific fencing maneuvers which can be studied and trained, etc.

doghead

thotd
I'm looking for inspiration for house rules to make duels more interesting than just chopping through each other's "abstract survival points." I come primarily from a D&D/Pathfinder background, but I've fenced a bit so I know things get more complex than two people just hacking at each other.

What sorts of novel fencing or dueling systems have you played? In particular, I'm interested in systems that offer one or more of the following:

a) characters change stances or techniques mid-fight to try to get an upper hand

b) it's possible to defeat an enemy simply by getting the upper hand; for example, maybe you never actually land a blow until the end of the fight, and every 'success' up to that point is simply getting your foe more off-balance so you can deliver a single killing strike

c) there's more nuance than "hit" or "miss," and more reactions between the two duelists than "I make an attack roll" and "I make a parry roll."

And ideally it wouldn't take more than a few minutes to resolve a duel. Any ideas?

Lace and Steel by The Australian Games Group had a really elegant fencing system using cards. There were both number and special cards. Each combatant drew a hand, the size of which was based on their skill. From their hand they lay down a defence along the three lines of attack (high, middle and low), as well as made attacks and special moves (feints, ripostes, etc). The same cards were also used for social repartee which was a really nice touch.

Unfortunately, the game isn't in production anymore and is pretty hard to find. Someone should really pick this one up ...

thotd

Pseudonym0

First Post
Hey Folks :)

I've actually been thinking about this myself lately, and I'm keep running into the conclusion that there are so many variables you're probably best to pick a couple small features of more intricate combat and run with those. I may be wrong, but your narrative bit there suggests to me you're thinking along some of the same lines I am: there are both light and heavy Weapon and Armor using warriors, with very different styles and without any being distinctly superior.

(NOTE: Using some D&D terms here just for the sake of brevity, the proposed system would actually take a bit to shoe-horn into D&D mechanics)
(NOTE 2: long-winded and a little complicated looking, but most of the complexity would be built into semi-permanent stats on a character sheet, and a lot less would go into actual combat rounds)

So e.g. have 4 archetypes (with trainable skill levels) :Fencer (light weapon/light armour, high attack rate, Dex based), Marauder (heavy Wp/light Arm, medium attack rate, Str/Dex), Legionaire (light Wp/Heavy Arm, medium attack rate, Str/Dex), and Dragoon (Heavy/Heavy, low rate, Str)

Then each skill/style comes with basic modifiers for, say, 4 actions: Heavy Strike, Fast Strike, dodge/parry, and block/reversal.

-Heavy Strike -easier to block or parry, good block penetration, higher damage

-Fast Strike -harder to block or parry, poor block penetration, low damage

-dodge/parry - no damage on success, full on strike on failure, on extreme success, results in a parry, ensuring their next attack precedes the opponents and gets a bonus success modifier

-block/reversal - damage reduction on success, strength related, on extreme success same result as for parry listed above

everyone gets 4 playing cards (Ace,K,Q,J, lets say), representative of these actions, at the start of action, both parties select their cards for 1 defense and 1 attack, everyone reveals their cards at the same time, if anyone wants to change a card at that point they can but take a penalty to their initiative roll and a penalty to the success roll for the swapped card(s). (insert opposed attack vs defense success rolls here). Move on to the next actions with new cards (maybe a new initiative as well).

If one party has additional attacks, they are allowed to play them out, the opponent is allowed to swap out defense cards as normal but doesn't get an attack until their next scheduled one, although this can be superceded at any time with a successful parry or reversal.

On a successful attack, damage is rolled, reduced by the defenders armor rating (normal AC really wouldn't work in this system) and then probably applied to some sort of wound track (normal HP probably wouldn't work well either), maybe applied as a modifier on a "Nasty Things Weapon Type X Can Do To A Human Body" Table, if you really want sudden-death style combat.

Add in a couple tweaks for fighting multiple opponents, disarms, called shots, etc. and I think it might actually be servicable. I won't go into the maths just now because I think this is long enough for my first post. Thoughts anyone?

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Not quite 'fencing' or 'swashbuckling.' More like "sword-fighting where you have to do things more precise than just 'make an attack' and 'do damage.'"

What I kind of envision is a game going like this:

Allar has a scimitar and is wearing leather armor. Broman has a bastard sword and a shield, and is wearing chainmail.
Taking turns to create the fiction you just shared is one type of game. I'm assuming you want more competition among the players where each is attempting to beat the other's character in battle.

Plenty of games including D&D through the years have included published rules or house rules to cover almost everything you wrote about. There were some things I had questions about though:
  1. What is the result of straining from blocking an all out attack? Fatigue?
  2. Broman has the advantage on armor and weaponry. Their prices should be more, but they are quick to be destroyed, so... maybe not.
  3. Crippling an arm stops sword use, but not unstrapping a shield?
  4. Debilitating Broman's sword arm completely cannot lead to incapacitating him further? How is that?
  5. Round 10 assessments. Does studying an opponent gain information usually withheld when within a melee?
  6. Round 11 has simultaneous initiative, perhaps this is a result of assessing each other?
  7. Wild swings and over-extending can be handled with stance rules from dueling. So previous actions and consequences result in limited actions in following rounds.
  8. "He puts everything he can into a heavy hack at Allar's leg." Is this suggesting energy is exertion/expendable? Usually combat attacks assume best attempts.
  9. Is armor deflecting, damage buffering, damaged by attack, some/all?
  10. Balancing as a whole round action is significant. What are the benefits for doing this? What about combat requiring more balancing than usual?
  11. A missed called shot still hitting elsewhere makes called shots better than they usually are. Normally games are designed for balance to avoid obviously better tactics in most cases.
Most everything is covered already somewhere else:
  • Turn-based actions,
  • Movement, facing, stance altering possible actions (wild swing, over-extension), picking up an item,
  • Attacking and Defending actions, "aggressive attack", feign, disarm, called location attacks with differing difficulty in hitting, assassination /killing blows
  • Armor, locations for armor/shields, armor damage, active blocking with locational armor,
  • Weapon types with attack types, sheathing/unsheathing, reach with close-quarter fighting (grabbing, holding, pushing, breaking a hold, body attacks /"kneeing")
  • Damage accumulates, damage by location (kidneys), damage effects like disabling, ongoing damage/blood loss, unconsciousness, death, and "non-serous" damage". Pain effects including staggering /reeling

TBeholder

Explorer
So, anything new in this area?

I took a look at the Spellbound Kingdoms primer. The graph system is clever, simple in use and looks nice.
However, for most part it's not tied to the things that normally are tied to the styles -
1. Weapons: plain "can be used with X,Y, Z" lists could do it, but there are border cases.
2. Armor and mobility
3. Weapons vs. armor and styles, as they were developed to counter something particular.
Then again, mostly it's the result of using a dice-stepping core. Obviously, the graphs can be used with others, even *D&D with adjustments to hit and to damage assigned instead of dice values.

"AD&D2.5": Player's Option Combat & Tactics has duelling rules of rock-paper-scissor nature - Attack[12] X Defense[6] X movement ([Low, Middle, High] X [Forward, Back, Left, Right, Stationary]; each of 15 moves has its own list of allowed attacks; guessing both right gives +2 to hit, guessing wrong -2 per step, so "stationary middle" is no worse than -2).

For completeness, there's En Garde! by Cindi Rice (AD&D2 extension for Savage Coast, not En Garde by Reiner Knizia mentioned in this thread), originally published in Dragon.

Remove ads