• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

best form for a 5th level druid?

Christian

Explorer
[Steve Irwin]Those teeth look pretty scary, don't they, mate? Not really anything to worry about, though ... Crikey! She's turrnin' around! (THWAP!!!)[/Steve Irwin]

Klaus

First Post
Best damage dealer is a black bear.

Best to get the drop on your opponent (i.e. you have surprise) is the leopard.

Krelios

First Post
Brother MacLaren said:
That tail slap has to be a mistake... no possible reason why a crocodile's tail slap should be more effective than its bite, or why a Medium creature should have a natural attack that does 1d12.
Actually, a real crocodile's tail is usually a more potent weapon than its teeth when dealing with anything its size or larger. Typically a crocodile will grapple a larger target and try to drown it while beating it to death with its tail rather than biting at it--especially when you consider that it doesn't take much force at all to simply hold a crocodile's mouth shut.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Klaus said:
Best damage dealer is a black bear.

Best to get the drop on your opponent (i.e. you have surprise) is the leopard.

If you can get the Pounce I would definitely go with Leopard. There are a lot of potential synergies for Improved Grab if you have good teamwork.

(OTOH a 5th level druid may want to avoid getting into grapples if his fellow teammates are nimrods. Go with bear then.)

Klaus

First Post
Pounce is great if you attack first and you have one level of rogue. 1 bite + 2 claws + 2 rakes + 5d6 sneak attack! At 5th level! Ouch!

Ridley's Cohort said:
If you can get the Pounce I would definitely go with Leopard. There are a lot of potential synergies for Improved Grab if you have good teamwork.
Improved Grab only works on things at least one size smaller, unless otherwise stated. So it's good against, say, any kobold or goblin that survives the Pounce full attack.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Brother MacLaren said:
Improved Grab only works on things at least one size smaller, unless otherwise stated. So it's good against, say, any kobold or goblin that survives the Pounce full attack.

Sonofa...I was all set to write a post saying you're wrong, but lo and behold, you're right!. This really should be mentioned in each individual creature's description, not just in the glossary. That's just sloppy rules-writing, if you ask me.

Daniel

Ballard_Alvar

First Post
mikebr99 said:
Sure it does...

WS uses Polymorph, which uses Alter Self
I've highlited the specific reference from the spell...

Mike

I stand corrected. ;) Acutally, I think I've argued the other side of that. That was a bad night for me, someone pulled the firealarm and I didn't get off of work until 8a:\. I wasn't on my game, thanks for the correction.

Diirk

First Post
Pielorinho said:
Sonofa...I was all set to write a post saying you're wrong, but lo and behold, you're right!. This really should be mentioned in each individual creature's description, not just in the glossary. That's just sloppy rules-writing, if you ask me.

It mentions it for the individual creature's that aren't restricted to one size smaller ;)

Three_Haligonians

First Post
Is it?

Krelios said:
Actually, a real crocodile's tail is usually a more potent weapon than its teeth when dealing with anything its size or larger. Typically a crocodile will grapple a larger target and try to drown it while beating it to death with its tail rather than biting at it--especially when you consider that it doesn't take much force at all to simply hold a crocodile's mouth shut.

Are you sure it is the crocodile? I have always heard that between the Alligator and the Crocodile, one has very powerful "closing jaw" muscles but weak opening ones.. meaning that you can keep its mouth closed with your hand. The other has the opposite: powerful "opening jaw" muscles and weak closing ones... thus you can keep its mouth open with your hand.

The problem of course is that I don't know which is which.. :uhoh:

J from Three Haligonians

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads