• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

best form for a 5th level druid?

daemonslye

First Post
thanks thanee;

Could an ape wield a weapon?

(best = best combination of strength, con, and AC with relatively decent damage potential; grapple/trip stuff is nice... but basics are the focus)

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
In my view, the black bear is slightly "better" than the leopard for combat purposes. The riding dog is excellent for tracking - because you get the Track feat as a racial bonus feat, and presumably your druid has a few ranks in Survival - and is a reasonable combatant. But remember the restriction that druids have to be familiar with the animal shape chosen. In a "default" temperate European setting, your DM may well rule that your druid is not familair with leopards (although you do still find leopard-like big cats in temperate climates, e.g. mountain lions).

Cheers, Al'Kelhar

Goolpsy

First Post
well, the combat is a big place, there is space for spellcasters, hit and run fighters, special fighters, frontlines meatshield.. etc.

which one do you want? an Eagle could be nice, it has very free movement. Then therss the Leopard, with soem good dex and some free movements as well as its able to deal some damage. And THen theres the Bear.. Big bad frontline meat, not meant to move, but has an insane STR bonus.. It all depent on your combat style..

Ballard_Alvar

First Post
Al'Kelhar said:
The riding dog is excellent for tracking - because you get the Track feat as a racial bonus feat, and presumably your druid has a few ranks in Survival - and is a reasonable combatant.

WS doesn't give Rac Bonus Feats, but you could train you riding dog comanion or black bear companion to track for you.

edit: Keep in mind WS gives you Special Attacks(not supernatural or spellike)and no Special qualities. So you get improved grab, but not darkvison.

moritheil

First Post
Bear is pretty standard in all the games I've played in. It's your usual declaration of "oh, you thought I was a defenseless spellcaster, so you got close? Let me maul you now."

Remove ads