• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Best Horror Setting For D&D/ Ravenloft?

Galendril

Explorer
It's been a long time. I think there might be some reference to a 'dread' mechanic, but I think the information to use it is included in MotRD.

Will Doyle

Explorer
With apologies to the previous poster, I don't think Masque of the Red Death is really appropriate to a Witcher scenario. Witcher is all about hunting down monsters in a gritty medieval setting: it's Game of Thrones meets superstitious Eastern European folklore. Masque of the Red Death is real-world 19th Century hammer-horror.

I think the Ravenloft boxed set mixed with the Van Richten guides would be fine. Although, if it was me, I'd probably run a Witcher campaign using the 1st edition Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay rules :)

With apologies to the previous poster, I don't think Masque of the Red Death is really appropriate to a Witcher scenario. Witcher is all about hunting down monsters in a gritty medieval setting: it's Game of Thrones meets superstitious Eastern European folklore. Masque of the Red Death is real-world 19th Century hammer-horror.

I think the Ravenloft boxed set mixed with the Van Richten guides would be fine. Although, if it was me, I'd probably run a Witcher campaign using the 1st edition Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay rules :)

You know what, I actually have a copy of WFRP 2nd that I friend has lent me to read. I'm only about half way through or so. And I think you're right! I was looking at D&D because that's what my cousin has. Maybe I need to look deeper at WFRP 2nd. Thanks!

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Fundamentally, The Witcher lives in a morally dark world, but I wouldn't recommend a vampire/werewolf setting (like Ravenloft) for that style of game. The mood is different and the expected range of adversaries is different.

The witcher's stchick is: he's got two swords, one silver for monsters who act like monsters, and one steel for humans who act like monsters. And he's got senses like a cat so he can track both down with equal ease.

So my money, you'd be better off just running a simple realms D&D game, and take every opportunity to emphasize the monstrosity of your human villains, as well as the humanity of your monstrous villains. For a short game over the holidays, you could do a lot worse than just approaching a module like Phandelver with that lens.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
So instead of bright and fun forgotten realms it's grey and dark?

Gray more than dark, because the humans frequently fail to show humanity, but the monsters often do exhibit humanity. Both elements are important, because a key point to the witcher is that he's got to make tough choices between different hues of gray.

Remove ads