D&D 5E Best martial class to combine with 2 levels of druid?

Crimlock

First Post
Hi! I'm new to 5th edition and am just working my way through the player's handbook. I think I am going to create a martial character with 2 levels of druid (for flavour i want to shift into animals... but i mainly want to be a strong melee fighter with a long sword/bastardsword/greatsword...). Which martial class has the best synergie with a druid? I read about a barbarian with bear totem is nice, fighter seems nice... but maybe there are other options?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Ranger is quite good stat-wise.
Fighter works with everything.
Monk can be fun, especially if you're a Moon Druid, but not with a big weapon unless your DM allows the Kensei UA.
Barbarian can work, but you'll be a bit stretched for stats.

I don't think I've missed a Martial class that can use a longsword effectively, except the Rogue with a Sun/Moonblade.

Croesus

Adventurer
Hi! I'm new to 5th edition and am just working my way through the player's handbook. I think I am going to create a martial character with 2 levels of druid (for flavour i want to shift into animals... but i mainly want to be a strong melee fighter with a long sword/bastardsword/greatsword...). Which martial class has the best synergie with a druid? I read about a barbarian with bear totem is nice, fighter seems nice... but maybe there are other options?

One thing to keep in mind is that druids are limited in the armor they can wear (no metal armor/shields). So if you have good Con/Dex stats, barbarian may be the way to go (Unarmored Defense). You don't have to have a high Wis if you're only going two levels into druid, so that leaves a bit extra for the Str/Con/Dex that a barbarian will need.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Another option is a dex-build fighter or ranger using ranged weapons or finess weapons like a rapier... which isn't really what you are trying to do... maybe Barbarian is the way to go?

Sacrosanct

Legend
I had a PC inspired by David Edding's Barak. A barbarian bear totem 3/moon druid 2. Even though technically I had the ability to shape into any qualifying animal, I always chose bear. For obvious thematic reasons. I had a lot of fun playing him.

hejtmane

Explorer
I had a PC inspired by David Edding's Barak. A barbarian bear totem 3/moon druid 2. Even though technically I had the ability to shape into any qualifying animal, I always chose bear. For obvious thematic reasons. I had a lot of fun playing him.

I totaly forgot about him as a character but then again the Malloreeon did not leave the imprint of the orginal series Belgariad or even the Sparhwak first triology (ok ok I am showing my age)

Satyrn

First Post

A paladin with the oath of the ancients is a thematic fit, although the mechanics of the two classes won't mesh as well as the ranger or barbarian.

Remove ads