• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Modern Game?

AZRogue

First Post
Hey, guys. I'm a bit out of it when it comes to new products, or some of the OGL products out there on the market. I really kind of stopped paying attention after 3.5 turned me into a bitter, bitter man (I'm not paying for something that's the same as what I own!!! ;) ). In that light, I need a bit of help.

I like d20 Modern. It's my favorite game besides DnD and Rolemaster/MERP. I like mixing it up with Rolemaster because one is sort of rules light and the other is ..., well, Rolemaster. I haven't, though, seen any of the other "modern" games. I know there are some, but I haven't bought any or tried them out.

So, my question is this: Is there a d20 Modern game, or similar game, out that keeps things nice and simple the way Modern did, with a distinct "X-Files" feel to it, that has grittier rules? I mean, less hit points, maybe Wound points, Armor isn't AC but Damage Reduction, guns can actually kill you, headshots, etc. Is there a system or book that can be used with Modern, or is close enough to its feel, that injects some major threat into things?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Aus_Snow

First Post
There are a few decent options, even just in the d20/OGL world:

Grim Tales (which seems to hit a few of the key points you mentioned, also based on d20 Modern)
Modern20 (as above, though not totally based on d20 Modern - more an 'alternative PHB' approach)
Spycraft 2.0 (as above, *definitely* the right feel by default for that X-Files type thing)
True20 (not just modern, true enough, but it can do that. and no HP at all, etc.)

. . . a few more I'm forgetting, no doubt. . .

. . . and Mutants & Masterminds, which can be put to work in basically any genre - but I'm admittedly biased here (it's my universal system of choice atm.) ;) No HP here, either. :cool:

edit --- of those I listed, the first is perhaps the closest I can think of to fitting in with what seem to be your goals. Just thought I'd add that.

Last edited:

Darrin Drader

Explorer
My preferred Modern game is True20. If you're looking for an X-Files theme, you might want to look at True20 Worlds of Adventure which includes the Agents of Oblivion campaign setting, which is basically the X-Files with the serial numbers filed off. You might also want to look at Reality Deviant Publishing's Alien Invasion book for D20 Modern at the following URL: http://www.rpgobjects.com/index.php?page=pro&product_id=268 It would be very easy to adapt Alien Invasion to True20.

Psion

Adventurer
Aus_Snow said:
Spycraft 2.0 (as above, *definitely* the right feel by default for that X-Files type thing)

If you go the Spycraft 2.0 route, PCI's Conspiracies book for the game has lots of X-Filesish stuff in it you can use.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Psion said:
If you go the Spycraft 2.0 route, PCI's Conspiracies book for the game has lots of X-Filesish stuff in it you can use.
Heh, and add Fragile Minds, just so you can see Skully being driven slowly insane....

The Auld Grump

GlassJaw

Hero
AZRogue said:
So, my question is this: Is there a d20 Modern game, or similar game, out that keeps things nice and simple the way Modern did, with a distinct "X-Files" feel to it, that has grittier rules? I mean, less hit points, maybe Wound points, Armor isn't AC but Damage Reduction, guns can actually kill you, headshots, etc. Is there a system or book that can be used with Modern, or is close enough to its feel, that injects some major threat into things?

I would say Grim Tales, with some tweaks, would work nicely for what you are trying to accomplish. It has varying degrees of "grittiness" that can choose depending on the game you want to run. It's not setting-specific but is easily adaptable to any setting material you may have or want to use. It's basically the ultimate d20 toolkit, and works for a wide range of settings.

As much as I like some of the rules and the production values and the concepts, I can't bring myself to ever recommend Spycraft. I found it to be incredibly cumbersome in play. On an individual basis, some of the rules are really cool, and it's a great book to have to borrow from. But taken as a whole, it's a classic case of over-design. There's just too much, and much of it doesn't add to the "fun factor" in actual play.

Prest0

First Post
For an "X-Files" feel, the DarkMatter campaign setting book was re-released by Wizards for d20Modern.
For a "Supernatural" feel, you might want to look at our free Pinebox, TX campaign setting.

Psion

Adventurer
GlassJaw said:
As much as I like some of the rules and the production values and the concepts, I can't bring myself to ever recommend Spycraft. I found it to be incredibly cumbersome in play. On an individual basis, some of the rules are really cool, and it's a great book to have to borrow from. But taken as a whole, it's a classic case of over-design. There's just too much, and much of it doesn't add to the "fun factor" in actual play.

Contrasting, I find that the book looks intimidating, but in play it's pretty easy to use what you need and incorporate the rules as you need them.

Remove ads