D&D 5E Best on screen adaptations of the Fighter class

If you were to show someone an onscreen character that best fits the D&D fighter, who would it be?

• The Hound (GoT)

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Jamie Lannister (GoT)

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • Greyworm (GoT)

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Bron (GoT)

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Valeria (Conan the Barbarian)

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Bombatta (Conan the Destroyer)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rexor (Conan the Barbarian)

• Red Sonja (Red Sonja)

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Garet Jax ( Shannara Chronicles)

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Thorin Oakenshield (The Hobbit)

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Gimli (LoTR)

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • Boramir (LotR)

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Bard the Bowman (Hobbit)

• Kili (Hobbit)

• Kalan (Legend of the Seeker)

• Geralt (Witcher--Eldritch knight)

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Eomer (LoTR)

• Madmartigan (Willow)

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • General Kael (Willow)

• Colwyn (Krull)

• Arthur (Excalibur)

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Leodegrance (Excalibur. Seriously, Patrick Stewart kicking butt and taking names)

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Mordred (Excalibur)

• Hawk (Hawk the Slayer)

• Artus (Conan the Barbarian 2011)

• Sir George (the Magic Sword 1962)

• Perseus (Clash of the Titans)

• Jason (Jason and the Argonauts)

• Ridley Freeborn (Dungeons and Dragons)

• Azeem (Robin Hood Prince of Thieves)

• Fezzik (Princess Bride)

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Little John (Robin Hood)

• Sheriff of Nottingham (Robin Hood Prince of Thieves)

• Petit Jean (Robin Hood 2010)

• Arthur (Merlin TV show)

• Xena (Xena Warrior Princess)

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Bowen (Dragonheart)

• Sinbad (Voyage of Sinbad)

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Navarre (Ladyhawke)

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • Herger (13th Warrior)

• Leonidas (300)

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Beowulf (Beowulf)

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Balthazar (Scorpion King)

• Kai (47 Ronin)

• Yu Shu Lien (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon)

• Lin Mae (The great Wall)

• The Kurgan (the historical era part of the movie, Highlander)

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
okay, wait, look, I don't want to bring umbrage to this list, but did you really have to leave out sokka? sokka, the one fighter in a party full of magic users, the one shining example of boring guy in party full of special people? even gets a special quest where he gets basically a magic weapon and special training? fine, whatever, I'll just sulk somewhere else o<-<

before I go to my crying place, I do want to bring up Asami for the artificer list, even though that one's presumably way off from now, I'll bring her up again later.

I voted for Jaime and the Hound. They're good at hitting stuff and not much else. Classic DnD fighter.

For Monks - oh so many choices. Every Wuxia movie ever made.
idk I feel the problem with that mentality is given the inspirations we know the d&d monk is supposed to be of the "manipulate ki to do weird things" variety. not every wuxia movie features this sort of thing, and I'm sure the entire genre is full of boring cookie cutter protagonists.

Sacrosanct

Legend
okay, wait, look, I don't want to bring umbrage to this list, but did you really have to leave out sokka? sokka, the one fighter in a party full of magic users, the one shining example of boring guy in party full of special people? even gets a special quest where he gets basically a magic weapon and special training? fine, whatever, I'll just sulk somewhere else o<-<

before I go to my crying place, I do want to bring up Asami for the artificer list, even though that one's presumably way off from now, I'll bring her up again later.

idk I feel the problem with that mentality is given the inspirations we know the d&d monk is supposed to be of the "manipulate ki to do weird things" variety. not every wuxia movie features this sort of thing, and I'm sure the entire genre is full of boring cookie cutter protagonists.

If it helps, I had Sokka on my barbarian list

Tony Vargas

Legend
Cadfael (Cadfael)
Heh.
okay, wait, look, I don't want to bring umbrage to this list,...
IDK who Umbrage is or what screen adaptation they're from, but if all they do is hit stuff, and they're otherwise pretty incompetent...
...and wear armor, of course...

but did you really have to leave out sokka? sokka, the one fighter in a party full of magic users, the one shining example of boring guy in party full of special people? even gets a special quest where he gets basically a magic weapon and special training? fine, whatever, I'll just sulk somewhere else o<-<
Wazzat from? Oh, nevermind…

Shub-Internet said:
Despite his inability to bend, Sokka became the strategist of the group, constantly trying to prove himself to be a great warrior like his father. He attempted to train the younger children of the Southern Water Tribe in fighting. ... His leadership skills improved during his travels with the Avatar, culminating with his masterminding the plan for the invasion of the Fire Nation on the Day of Black Sun. His humor and his ability to organize and plan became imperative to the group on their travels. By the conclusion of the Hundred Year War, Sokka became a master swordsman and a great warrior like his father

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
If it helps, I had Sokka on my barbarian list
I missed that, I guess that's fair lol.

I'll also put my edit here I guess:
while we're on the subject of monk suggestions, I could list most of the cast of Avatar, but I feel like other than Aang, Toph probably exemplifies this trope, like she's blind, also creates an entirely new bending technique on her own.

while we're on the subject of blind monks can Chirrut Imwe be on this list? can Donnie Yen be on this list twice? he's a little more monk-like than the average Jedi knight imo.

also Kyuzo from Seven Samurai. all the other samurai are basically fighters (Kambei and Kikuchiyo could've totally been on the fighter list but w/e), but he's a pretty good example of a Kensei in the d&d sense.

Heh.
IDK who Umbrage is or what screen adaptation they're from, but if all they do is hit stuff, and they're otherwise pretty incompetent...
...and wear armor, of course...

Wazzat from? Oh, nevermind…
yeah see he's a good example of a fighter. I guess technically he can be a barbarian since he's from a tribal society, but so was Fafhrd and people consider him the prototypical d&d fighter.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Toph probably exemplifies this trope, like she's blind, also creates an entirely new bending technique on her own.

while we're on the subject of blind monks can Chirrut Imwe be on this list?
I know they used swords, but speaking of blind monks, Zatoichi is a screen legend, and the Rutger Hauer version, Frank Parker.
Oh, and, of course, Daredevil. 🤷 ... But not the Netflix version of Iron Fist, please. ;(

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Here's what I have for the next poll: monk. Which obvious ones am I missing?

Ang (Last Airbender)

Caine (Kung Fu TV series)

Lee ( Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon)

Wong Fei-Hung (Drunken Master)

Yang (The Warrior’s way, kensai)

Little John (Robin Hood Prince of Thieves)

The Monkey King (Forbidden Kingdom)

Lu Yan (Forbidden Kingdom)

Dr. Yang (Iron Monkey)

Ip Man (Ip Man)

Wang Chi (Big Trouble in Little China)

Leroy Green (The Last Dragon)

Cadfael (Cadfael)

Ngihtcrawler (XMEN)

Scar (Fullmetal Alchemist)

Jedi (Star Wars)

Monk with no name (Bulletproof Monk)

Diana (D&D cartoon)
You're missing pretty much every significant character from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - best Monks ever!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Too many options to make choices meaningful IMO. I would limit the field to less than 20?
Or allow more than four votes.

Bron from GoT is perhaps the best ever; with about 15 other characters from that series not far behind. But any of about half that list would be fine to use as an example.

DrunkonDuty

he/him

Oh I didn't mean that I think all Wuxia characters are cookie cutter characters. I just mean there's a lot to choose from. Some do the Ki (Qi) thing. Some don't. All monks.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Here's what I have for the next poll: monk. Which obvious ones am I missing?

Ang (Last Airbender)

Caine (Kung Fu TV series)

Lee ( Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon)

Wong Fei-Hung (Drunken Master)

Yang (The Warrior’s way, kensai)

Little John (Robin Hood Prince of Thieves)

The Monkey King (Forbidden Kingdom)

Lu Yan (Forbidden Kingdom)

Dr. Yang (Iron Monkey)

Ip Man (Ip Man)

Wang Chi (Big Trouble in Little China)

Leroy Green (The Last Dragon)

Cadfael (Cadfael)

Ngihtcrawler (XMEN)

Scar (Fullmetal Alchemist)

Jedi (Star Wars)

Monk with no name (Bulletproof Monk)

Diana (D&D cartoon)

You cant include Bruce Leroy but not Sho’Nuff!

Remo: Unarmed and Dangerous

Kung Fury

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

the cast of Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer and every Wuxia movie ever (I’d stipulate that these have been left out for sake of sanity)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases