D&D 5E Best on screen depictions of the Monk class

Which on screen depiction of a monk best fits the D&D monk?

• Yu Shu Lien (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon)

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • Ang (Last Airbender)

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Caine (Kung Fu TV series)

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Lee (Enter the Dragon)

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Wong Fei-Hung (Drunken Master)

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Yang (The Warrior's Way, kensai)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Friar Tuck (Robin Hood)

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • The Monkey King (Forbidden Kingdom)

• Dr. Yang (Iron Monkey)

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Ip Man (Ip Man)

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Wang Chi (Big Trouble in Little China)

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Leroy Green (The Last Dragon)

• Sho "nuff (The Last Dragon)

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Cadfael (Cadfael)

• Nightcrawler (XMEN)

• Scar (Fullmetal Alchemist)

• Monk with no name (Bulletproof Monk)

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Diana (D&D Cartoon)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Man with iron fists (Iron fist)

• Pai Mei (Kill Bill)

• TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, pick one)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Morgan (Walking Dead)

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Zula (Conan the destroyer)

Tony Vargas

Legend
I mean Kung Fu probably helped make the monk a popular idea, but there were a lot of kung fu movies going around America in the 70's as well. the important part about The Destroyer was establishing the "uses qi to get weird powers" variety of monk as the standard for d&d.
Thing is, the monk's weird Ch'i powers - slow-fall, arrow deflection, the dread 'quivering palm' - showed up in Kung Fu, too. My guess is they were drawing from the same sources of inspiration.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
Thing is, the monk's weird Ch'i powers - slow-fall, arrow deflection, the dread 'quivering palm' - showed up in Kung Fu, too. My guess is they were drawing from the same sources of inspiration.
well I guess that makes sense. I always thought Kung Fu was just some totally-not-a-white-guy who could punch good because Orientalism, I didn't realize he also got super powers as well.

Tony Vargas

Legend
well I guess that makes sense. I always thought Kung Fu was just some totally-not-a-white-guy who could punch good because Orientalism, I didn't realize he also got super powers as well.
I think the quivering palm may have been a baddie's technique. But, yeah "...a Shao-lin Monk can walk through walls..." right in the intro, every week.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
I think the quivering palm may have been a baddie's technique. But, yeah "...a Shao-lin Monk can walk through walls..." right in the intro, every week.
yeah y'know I never really looked into the show. even as a dumb teenager in the mid-2000's yellowface was a pretty big turn off for me lol. still didn't change the fact how many people around my age got into it, like geez.

Tony Vargas

Legend
yeah y'know I never really looked into the show. even as a dumb teenager in the mid-2000's yellowface was a pretty big turn off for me lol. still didn't change the fact how many people around my age got into it, like geez.
Yeah, I was in grade school when it first aired, still remembered it when I got to the Monk description in the 1e AD&D PH years after it was canceled.

Remove ads