• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Organized Adventure?

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I quite like WotC's new delve format. All the information on one or two pages? Hell yeah, sign me up! I'm itching to run Eyes of the Lich Queen.

On a related note, there was a thread here about preparing bought adventures that can help you make modules more organized. The last post on the first page had a consolidated list of suggestions. They've done some good stuff for my DMing.

Ideal:

DM summary info, including setting and level at the front, with a list of monsters and other encounters to make it really clear what's in the module.

Longer background

Some player intro ideas

Encounter by encounter descriptions, with complete stats each time a new type of monster is introduced.

Summary at the back, with monster stats repeated, list of magic items, XP for each encounter, and any new magic items or spells introduced.

I think DCC comes closest to my ideal.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I thought (and still think) that all of the early D&D 3x modules from Atlas Games were excellent in terms of presentation and organization, with read aloud text clearly marked, inline creature/NPC stats, and excellent little sidebars about motives, suggested deviations, etc.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Essentially one encounter area, true, but the meat of the adventure was largely event-driven for us within that confined space. The cutout cards for NPCs stand out in my recollection as particularly handy.

It was a fairly basic adventure, but even so it had some good organization going on.

Aus_Snow

First Post
jdrakeh said:
I thought (and still think) that all of the early D&D 3x modules from Atlas Games were excellent in terms of presentation and organization, with read aloud text clearly marked, inline creature/NPC stats, and excellent little sidebars about motives, suggested deviations, etc.
Agreed. I haven't tried all of them, or even bought them all (I don't tend to buy many adventures, in general) but yeah, they would qualify, I think.

Belly of the Beast

I didn't care for the adventure, but I did plunder the NPC's. Interesting NPC's are always a plus in an adventure, since they are usually the easiest monsters to yoink and put in another context.

mhensley

First Post
I've always thought Kenzer did a great job with their modules- both the Kalamar ones and the HackMaster ones. They have that imagequest thing going on which gives you large pictures of locations to show your players. And the HM ones come with a listing of all the monsters collected together with boxes to tick off their hit points on.

Psion

Adventurer
I'll give two possibly surprising entries.

1) The 3.0 Thunerhead/MEG Interludes adventures: Brief Expeditions to Bluffside and Sands of Pain. The had in-line notes for scaling the challenge and flavor of the adventure to the tastes of the group.
2) Though I find the situation, assumptions, and some sections wanting, I also dug the in-line scaling notes in World's Largest Dungeon.

Remove ads