D&D 5E Best out of combat class features?

Shadow monk at-will teleport (any at-will TP is fun, shadow monk version is fun, fast, and flavorful) & generalized monk mobility, running up walls and across liquids etc. at-will. Also a fan of the genie warlock's bottle thing and several of the invocations (ghostly gaze, whispers of the grave, mask of many faces).

Ah interesting. Well to me, Warlords make things happen around them. Whether it's through their words, or their presence, they are the calm in the storm that provides direction and focus to efforts. An out of combat ability should reflect that.
Yeah, @Undrave , I also think that you may find some good inspiration in the Eberron: Rising from the Last War book's Artificer class features, if that helps any

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I would rather see spells known for all full casters be in amount of sorcerer and half caster in amount of ranger.
Then any subclass can give bonus spell known or two per spell level.

rituals can be written in books as separate resource from spells known.
Spells known would definitely rope in wizards; it (spells known) is easily my most hated mechanic in the game. It's so handicapping it almost makes characters limited by it not even worth playing IMO.

So as a limit it would definitely work. But since a wizard's place historically (that is, pre-WotC) has been to be the most effective character with enough advance notice and time to research, I tend to feel that either making specialization actually mean something or somehow returning to a need for preparation and knowledge on the wizard's part makes more sense.

We've also played where the specialization limit applies only to spells of 2nd level and higher, or 3rd level and higher, and that works too, but we still tend to see all wizards pick the same handful of cantrips and 1st or 2nd level spells when we do that.

Rituals might just be my favorite modern era development for spellcasting, incidentally. It allows so much more flexibility to any character, without needing to multiclass. Rituals and the dis/advantage mechanic are the saving grace(s) of WotC's involvement with D&D IMO.

How different is it from Tasha's version?
I don't know—I never read Tasha's.

*Edit: I made the suggestion because @Mistwell 's post made me immediately think of the Artificer's Flash of Genius feature—which lets them use their reaction to add their Int. modifier to an ability check or saving throw that was made within 30 feet of you—and I thought something like that would be appropriate.

Last edited:

Remove ads