• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Value for Money RPG Purchase

Lancelot

Adventurer
Best Value: Dungeon magazine subscription. Would be a bargain at double the price, given the amount of time it saves me and the (usually) high quality of adventures.

Honorable mentions to: Module B4 - The Lost City, Dragon #63, Neverwinter Nights (for the Aurora Toolset), and supermodule GDQ - Queen of Spiders. I've had years and years of use out of those products.

Best Value Core Rulebook: D&D Rules Cyclopedia (old school Basic/Expert/Companions/Masters). No contest.

catsclaw227

First Post
For me it would have to be the Wilderlands Boxed Set and the Counter Collection Digital. I make the coolest wooden counters out of these. :)

Honorable mention goes to Monte's AE, AEG's Adventures I and II, the Mystic Eye Foul Locales series (there's some awesome stuff in there), Ed's Skeleton Key map tiles, and last but not least, the awesome adventures coming out of Goodman Games and (best of all) Necromancer Games.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
FFE's Devil Player's Guide. I revamped it for 3.5 and have been using it for about 2.5 years. I use it mainly for BBEGs and it has seen heavy use.

Edit: I even used it as part of a morden-esque game. It came in handy when I statted at Ras Al'Ghul for my Arkham campaign.

Last edited:

BadMojo

First Post
I really think "Red Hand of Doom" is going to be my best value for the money product. We haven't started playing yet (started at first level, playing a Goodman Games adventure) but having read the book, I think we're going to get many, many sessions of fun out of RHoD.

Maps are excellent, adventure is very well written. Our group will literally get at least a year's worth of gaming out of one book. Also, it meshed in to the Forgotten Realms quite easily, which is nice since that's our long-time setting of choice.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
For 2e, I would have to say it is a toss up between my Dark Sun (Revised) boxed set and my City of Splendors boxed set.

pogre

Legend
NPC Designer hands down. An amazing utility that saves me hours of time and I never have to fudge a stat block.

As far as printed stuff goes I would say The Lost City of Barakus and the Power Gamer Guides by Goodman Games.

Gothmog

First Post
Hard to choose one, but the best books I've gotten the most use out of:

WHFRP 1st edition
WHFRP 2nd edition
Midnight 2nd edition
Savage Worlds
Anything Deadlands
Call of Cthulhu BRP

seskis281

First Post
The 1983 Boxed Set of World of Greyhawk

The 1980 1st Edition DM's Guide

The 3.0 PHB when 1st released.

Now, the best: Castles & Crusades core books (PHB & Monsters&Treasure - for $25 for both from Amazon) & Castle Zagyg: Yggsburgh for $19. :cool:

If you haven't given C&C a try yet you really, really should.

seskis281 said:
Now, the best: Castles & Crusades core books (PHB & Monsters&Treasure - for $25 for both from Amazon) & Castle Zagyg: Yggsburgh for $19. :cool:

If you haven't given C&C a try yet you really, really should.
I'm getting quite a bit of value from the CZ:Yggsburgh book (I put Yggsburgh in Greyhawk). I agree about C&C; I haven't been playing it long, but it's "raised dead" on a BUNCH of my old D&D and AD&D material, so you could say it's giving me value that way, too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads