D&D General Best VTT for the most players?

R_J_K75

Legend
I've been playing with it a bit ... as a novice to Roll20 it seems cool but I'm concerned about it being buggy. Not sure if anyone else has hit the issues. Also still not 100% sure I even like it in play.

I'll know after my game this weekend.

I ran a game last night where it would have come in handy. I just used the draw tool and that worked ok. If I had a touch screen with a stylus this would be way easier, but if Roll20 supports this, IDK. I don't like the idea of having the PCs see the entire map at once, but Im with you that Im hoping I don't take the time learn to use this only to run into problems.

Oofta

Legend
I ran a game last night where it would have come in handy. I just used the draw tool and that worked ok. If I had a touch screen with a stylus this would be way easier, but if Roll20 supports this, IDK. I don't like the idea of having the PCs see the entire map at once, but Im with you that Im hoping I don't take the time learn to use this only to run into problems.

Yeah, I think next game all the action is going to happen on one dark and stormy night. In part just so I can try out the lighting. :)

Actually testing it out though, it shows how far people can really see with darkvision. Unless you have a huge map or there's something blocking line of site they just see everything anyway.

I've been doing complex maps in other tools. I've used Campaign Cartographer off and on for years but there's tools like donjon to generate random maps and even Paint.net would be better for the simple stuff I want to do.

One other tool I'm finding handy is Token Stamp 2

R_J_K75

Legend
One other tool I'm finding handy is Token Stamp 2

Yeah I found that too. It works good. I used it last night to creat a token of a hand drawn map I scanned for a giant sea turtle submarine the players found. I had to laugh when one of the players wanted to submerge and open the hatch, I said are you sure? They quickly realised and surfaced before opening the hatch. Silly players.

I've been playing with it a bit ... as a novice to Roll20 it seems cool but I'm concerned about it being buggy. Not sure if anyone else has hit the issues. Also still not 100% sure I even like it in play.

I'll know after my game this weekend.
I've never noticed roll20 as being buggy unless you're trying to use voice and/or video - but those just suck overall. I've been using it for about 7 years now.

The rest is fine from a technical sense. Sometimes an imperfectly built map will have oddities, but frankly we've gotten away from pre-setting fog of war and just hand-revealing as needed, which has never been a problem.

Outside of voice and video, the main things I've seen people take issue with roll20 over are really inherent to VTT - it's never going to be quite the same as actually being in the same room.

J-H

Hero
I am using Discord and an Excel spreadsheet for mapping, then throwing the map into chat.
Example:

Attachments

• vamp6.jpg
    vamp6.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 683

R_J_K75

Legend
Outside of voice and video, the main things I've seen people take issue with roll20 over are really inherent to VTT - it's never going to be quite the same as actually being in the same room.

I've noticed with my players they kind of expect to show up and think its going to work great or do everything for them and don't realize they probably should spend at least a few minutes before a game familiarizing themselves with it. But Im going to chalk up most of the problems Ive seen so far to....USER ERROR. This goes for myself as well as the players.

Oofta

Legend
I've never noticed roll20 as being buggy unless you're trying to use voice and/or video - but those just suck overall. I've been using it for about 7 years now.

The rest is fine from a technical sense. Sometimes an imperfectly built map will have oddities, but frankly we've gotten away from pre-setting fog of war and just hand-revealing as needed, which has never been a problem.

It was more to do with the dynamic lighting than anything. Sometimes I dropped an icon and hit ctrl+L and things were groovy. Even the human could see the small fire off in the distance. Other times ... just black. Same map, same settings, just doing a final check to see if the I have the PC's icons set up correctly.

Probably just some id10t error on my part.

It was more to do with the dynamic lighting than anything. Sometimes I dropped an icon and hit ctrl+L and things were groovy. Even the human could see the small fire off in the distance. Other times ... just black. Same map, same settings, just doing a final check to see if the I have the PC's icons set up correctly.

Yeah, we gave up on that as well pretty early on. It doesn't add much anyways.

cmad1977

Hero

A lot of the time that happens to me there is a small setting in the token that needs to be set. OR I changed the setting and forgot to link the new token to the character sheet.

Remove ads