D&D 5E Best way to leverage high stats at low level?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
While I personally prefer point-buy over rolling, I AM a fan of rolling high when the DM asks for rolled 1st level characters. I ended up with an above-average array of [17, 16, 14, 12, 12, 11], and I'm trying to figure what's the best way to use that for a low level character. (I have plenty of backup plans for low stats, based on my personal rolling history. :p)

The strongest approach I could think of was to find ways to make 2 attacks at will with stat mod added, leveraging an 18 Str or Dex. So, Polearm Master, Monk, or Fighter with Dual Wielding seemed the best approach. Or, leveraging two 18s (depending on race or feat choice if VHuman) with Dex Barbarian or Monk to get a really high AC for 1st level, while still having decent attacks.

Alternatively, I could probably make a pretty good gish build since I can have a high casting stat, a high Str or Dex for melee, and a 14 for Con. Fighter 1 dip into Wizard, possibly, going with Polearm Master quarterstaff combo with Dueling?

Any other ideas that I'm missing?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I would of gone for Crossbow Expert over Polearm Master, but that's personal taste. Kinda. It lets you double down of Dex's benefits, go first, have high AC, and have high damage.

I think you've got most of the options. Maybe Greenfire Blade?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Doesn't crossbow expert require a hand free now? I thought a shield for extra tankiness would help.

Hmm. Assuming I do put a high score in Str and a casting stat, that would leave me down to a 12 for Dex, pretty much making heavy armor a necessity. Going Dex first would give me more options, even without a shield.

Doesn't crossbow expert require a hand free now? I thought a shield for extra tankiness would help.

Hmm. Assuming I do put a high score in Str and a casting stat, that would leave me down to a 12 for Dex, pretty much making heavy armor a necessity. Going Dex first would give me more options, even without a shield.

Paladin Human Polearm Master. You won't have two 18s BUT a very solid attack stat and two attacks. 16 charisma is all you need. Make Con 15 so you can at some point take resilient constitution.

ccs

41st lv DM

A 17+ Dex still adds to your AC....
Use the shield when melee begins.

You could also forgo having the highest possible stat right from 1st lv in favor of having a whole bunch of 13+ stats.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Polearm Master is just such a good way to get reliable Reaction and bonus action attacks before anybody else. My personal favorite would be Bear Totem Barbarian putting your 14 in Dex and your 16 in Con. Then getting the best Medium armor you can.

I've found that barbarians just wreck face at low levels, though they do seem to lose steam (or perhaps just get a little repetitive) later on.

Polearm Master Paladins are also great and have more options later on.

Polearm Master Fighters are great too! But you wouldn't be leveraging those 3 high Stats as much.

If you wan't to be a real odd duck go for the Polearm Master Ranger. 18 str 14 dex 12 Con and 16 Wis would get you max ac in medium armor and good spellcasting. 16 Con and 12 Wis if you value HP over Spells.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases