TSR Best Way to Replicate AD&D?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'm sure you can grab another copy off ebay failry inexpensively?
This. I picked up a lightly-used copy of the Rules Cyclopedia off of eBay for $30 + shipping.

It looks like you can also get print-on-demand copies of the original AD&D books from DriveThruRPG and DMsGuild, for about $20-25 each.
Why replicate when you can be playing the original?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It looks like you can also get print-on-demand copies of the original AD&D books from DriveThruRPG and DMsGuild, for about $20-25 each.
Why replicate when you can be playing the original?
Because the originals aren't laid out as clearly as modern books can be? Very few people buying OSE are unaware that B/X is available from the DMs Guild. But OSE's superior organization is worth the premium (and deciphering which version of the books to purchase, the real barrier to entry for that game) to a whole lot of people.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Because the originals aren't laid out as clearly as modern books can be? Very few people buying OSE are unaware that B/X is available from the DMs Guild. But OSE's superior organization is worth the premium (and deciphering which version of the books to purchase, the real barrier to entry for that game) to a whole lot of people.
That is a different argument than you used originally, to be fair.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Well, as it turned out, they shot down the idea of another system for the next campaign. So I guess we're sticking with 5e power fantasy.
Understandable. If I'm a new RPGer, and my first experience is D&D5, then it's fair to assume that any other game will be an equivalent pain in the butt to learn. Why do that, when I already know a game?

Show them Microlite20. Maybe they'll appreciate an actual stripped-down version of D&D. I would.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases