Better BeastMaster Feats for 5e

xorpalm

Explorer
[Edit 1.1, upped savage master from level 12 to level 16 , added wis based penalty to constitution saves for concentration due to swarm attack]

So the Ranger Beastmaster seems like a cool concept class, except there doesn't seem to be any kind of progression in the type or beast that one masters. It also seems in general on the forums that this class is considered the most nerfed and beastmaster is the least useful class option. Here's some feat ideas that perhaps could make this class more enjoyable and have something to look forward to in terms of roleplay and capabilities without rewriting the class. I added stat modifiers for each, seeing as you have to lose stat buffs to get them. Some of these should just be class options IMHO. This is a first draft and not polished or terribly thought out, feel free to post suggestions.

Wild Rider: (Beast Master)
Dex +1
You can ride your beast companion if it is one size larger then you. You do not need a saddle.

Superior Master: ( Beast Master level 8 )
Wis +1
Your beast companion can be large and CR 1/2

Savage Master: ( Beast Master Level 16, requires Superior Master)
Wis +1, Dex + 1
Your beast companion can be large and CR 1

Pack Master: ( Beast Master 8 )
Dex +1
You can have two Beast companions of size medium and CR 1/4. Each grants +1 AC if they are within 5 feet of you. (+2 at level 16)

Swarm Master:
Wis +1
Your companion can be a swarm of cr 0 creatures of size tiny. When bonding your swarm, roll a d10 + wis mod to get the number of creatures in the swarm. Consider the swarm as a single entity and Multiply Hp by the size of the swarm and attack damage by half the size.
When a creature takes damage from the swarm, and must therefore roll a constitution save to maintain a spell, they get a negative penalty equal to your wisdom modifier.

Last edited:

gunrock82

First Post
In every new edition my first class is always Ranger. I've been a beast master since its addition in 2.0. Found ways to use beast companions in each addition. Will also find ways of making what you say is a weak class into something desirable. Time will tell

xorpalm

Explorer
In every new edition my first class is always Ranger. I've been a beast master since its addition in 2.0. Found ways to use beast companions in each addition. Will also find ways of making what you say is a weak class into something desirable. Time will tell

I don't necessarily think the class is *weak*, just that the sub-class description itself is somewhat limited in scope. I'm sure those with a love for the type and an ability to role-play can enjoy the class ( and any other for that matter ). Personally, I found it irresistible to try and creatively expand the scope for fun and thought I'd share. Perhaps the general negative forum responses to the class was just an excuse to employ some creativity.

Cheers.

gunrock82

First Post
I enjoy the class regardless of the edition. There will be some fun. My level 23 Ranger is attempting to overthrow Bane. He has a dire wolf familiar who is growing to have a large scorpion tale. Oh did I mention that he went from true neutral to chaotic evil with one action? So he is growing horns ams his familiar is become a dire devil Wolf. Crazy playing

xorpalm

Explorer
I enjoy the class regardless of the edition. There will be some fun. My level 23 Ranger is attempting to overthrow Bane. He has a dire wolf familiar who is growing to have a large scorpion tale. Oh did I mention that he went from true neutral to chaotic evil with one action? So he is growing horns ams his familiar is become a dire devil Wolf. Crazy playing

Ahh.. but in 5th edition, the dire wolf which is CR 1 is not an allowable companion, since you're limited to a CR of 1/4. Hence the feats.

gunrock82

First Post
If I understand correctly, a character is allowed a companion at 1/4 character level? Hence a level 4 could have a level 1?

xorpalm

Explorer
From what I can read:

At level three you choose one beast of CR 1/4.

It gets your proficiency bonus to all attacks,AC and damage rolls.

Its hit point maximum is 4* your level or its normal maximum.

As far as I can tell there's four potential viable companions in the PHB.

Mastiff, Panther, wolf, boar.

There doesn't seem to be any text in the PHB allowing companions of higher C/R depending on ranger level.

Also, ordering your companion to attack uses your attack option. When you get two attacks, at level 5, one of these can be an ordered attack by the companion.
At level 11 you get two attacks with the companion, allowing 3 total attacks per round, which is on par with the fighter getting 3 attacks per round.

gunrock82

First Post
It seems like there will be a good amount of screaming inside my head to find ways of making all of this work. Do you happen to know if any detailed class books will be released layer. PH2, primal power, arcane power? Anything along these lines?

xorpalm

Explorer
As far as I know, our only hope for immediate-ish more class options is in the Dungeon Master's Guide in November. I'm not sure anything else has been officially announced, but I'm pretty sure more splat is un-officially expected, seeing as the PHB is a pretty tightened down manual. I'm sure there's a lot more they could do with extra classes and subclasses that should show up. Question is, are you willing to wait :)

Khaalis

Adventurer
The feats look decent. I need to look over feats a bit more closely to get an idea of balance. Seeing the actual Monster Manual will help with that as well so that we can see what you can actually gain access to with the increased CR limits.

Remove ads