"Better TV/Movies Than They Have Any Right To Be"

Speaking of Robin Williams, I'm surprised Hook worked so well! Not the best movie ever but it's still flled with the same sort of charm an animated movie would have. I'd rather have that kind of live action take on classic characters than whatever Disney's doing lately...

I love Hook, but Dustin Hoffman's performance dominates that movie in my opinion. From the moment he appears and raises that hilarious malevolent grin, you know that he has nailed it. Bob Hoskins is also great as Smee, and I love every scene in which the two are together.

My favourite scene however is when Hook wants Smee to stop him from taking his own life, and Smee is like "Oh, not again!".

Surely there must be a treasure trove of scenes with Dustin Hoffman that ended up on the cuttingroom floor.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Two more for consideration: Dinosaurs and Parker Lewis Can’t Lose.

The first was a blue-collar sitcom that starred dino-muppets. They tackled all the same kinds of topics as was typical of the better sitcoms...but with dinosaurs. And they killed off the entire cast for the finale. Because dinosaurs.

The second was a live-action teen-centric comedy that ventured into cartoon-style absurdist gags. I mean, one character had essentially invented a tesseract trench coat- pulled a fully functional sub-style periscope out of it once. It had a security system that involved concealed dobermans.

Two more for consideration: Dinosaurs and Parker Lewis Can’t Lose.

I loved Dinosaurs. It was a technical marvel and often ahead of its time. The way it tackled current day issues was a bit hit or miss. Their gay metaphor in the episode where Robbie decides to be a herbivore gets a bit tangled up. But I love how they ended the show, and got to give special mention to the Totally Hidden Predator tvshow.

Last edited:

Can I ask what Star is? ive heard of Starz (the home of shows such as outlander)

Certain movies work because of 1 actor stealing the show and going off script. Jim carrey movies probably dont work if he doesn't go off script. robin Williams is the same type of actor (love him or not). Alladin isn't a hit if he isn't as crazy as he is

I would argue The Evil Dead movies are better than they should be due to Bruce Campbell. It probably isn't a big hit if say Bruce willis played the role of ash or pick another actor

I can think of lots of "classic tv" that is better than it should be due an outstanding performance of 1 actor

I would argue The Evil Dead movies are better than they should be due to Bruce Campbell. It probably isn't a big hit if say Bruce willis played the role of ash or pick another actor

I disagree. While Bruce Campbell is the right actor for the part, I think the success of those movies is thanks to the crazy genius of Sam Raimi, and his team. It certainly helps that Bruce is willing to do just about anything, but what really makes those movies shine is Raimi's crazy direction.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I disagree. While Bruce Campbell is the right actor for the part, I think the success of those movies is thanks to the crazy genius of Sam Raimi, and his team. It certainly helps that Bruce is willing to do just about anything, but what really makes those movies shine is Raimi's crazy direction.
Not just cray direction but Raimi's ingenuity and innovation in film making. He was duck taping cameras to skateboards and using old tape recorders to make sound effects. Back in the 80's guys who made 5 million dollar flicks were like, "how the hell is he doing this for 50K???"

Indeed. Raimi was a great innovator who used his movies to try out many new camera tricks and techniques in really cheap and innovative ways. I am very excited to see him direct the next Dr Strange movie, because he is exactly the kind of weird genius needed for that film.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I didn’t care for the first 2 Evil Dead movies all that much, but I respect that they had to come first in order that the genius of Army of Darkness could be unleashed.

Remove ads