D&D General BG3 Massive Spoiler Thread

I mean, I guess I can enforce most of those rules on myself, but the more I have to think about "not allowed to do X in this scenario," the less I can just immerse myself in the story.
All they need is a "Strict rules" checkbox on Custom difficulty and we'd never have to think about it. Sadly I can't even find a mod to do it.

Dausuul

Legend
ENworld help please.

So got a few parts of ACT3 to do. Thinking about my next character.

Last 3 builds have been dexterity, charisma and wisdom based.

Starting as Gale I think romancing Karlach. I don't particularly enjoy wizards or strength based. Or summoning vast hordes a few elementals are fine.

I want to do something interesting no meta power builds eg TB monk or throwers.

Haven't played Rangers, barbarians or druids to much. Earlier someone mentioned a dex based Paladin.

Or do a themed party eg stealth, bears, darkness. Party full of warlocks could be fun.

Any ideas peeps?
Darkness theme is cool and surprisingly effective, and between the tadpole and the Emperor, there's plenty of RP justification for everyone in your party putting a couple levels into GOO-pact warlock. (There are also a couple magic items that grant immunity to blindness, though very few available before Act 3.)

You also get to point and laugh at Viconia DeVir and her army of darkness-slingers.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
In other news I am mostly through the Underdark and still inexplicably not dead, though I did manage to lose some items to explosions/cliffs - I wasn't trying to shove that guy off a cliff when Karlach threw a spear at him, but I guess the elevation and angle did it anyway!

More concerned about Act 2 because I screwed it up royally in my first run so don't really know the "right" way to do it, or the "right" order of places to go. Also I keep telling myself I will take the safe and pragmatic options in dialogue and then the moment the chips are down I'm talking smack to people I really shouldn't.

Also as I predicted I did indeed walk into the exploding mushrooms (sigh). I managed to save the guy first but I didn't think carefully and so sent my STR 8 character to throw water at the torch instead of say, shooting it with an ice spell or ice arrow or using a proof thrower like Karlach. RIP special mushroom.
I finally beat that stupid area by having Astarion (who really earns his keep in my party) using teleport arrows to get there. And then my wife tells me the dwarf husband is apparently an abusive creep anyway ...

I finally beat that stupid area by having Astarion (who really earns his keep in my party) using teleport arrows to get there. And then my wife tells me the dwarf husband is apparently an abusive creep anyway ...
I just chucked him a scroll I happened to have on me, which unfortunately emboldened me into thinking I could similarly chuck water at his torch.

Ironically in my current group Astarion is barely used, because my Lore Bard has no issues with skills and I need a tank to keep Karlach able to throw (which even with fixed rules is brutal). That said last time I brought him he was terrifying, maybe Lae'zel can take a break for a bit. I certainly miss his sardonic tone.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Accidently saved the Grove from the Shadowdruids.

I went to confront whats-her-face after finding her diaries expecting to get a chance to say something like "I want some $" or whatever but instead more Shadowdruids show up.

I could have then sided with them but at this point it didn't seem like my problem as a fight was about to break out with the good druids so I told whats-her-face that she may have made a mistake, which got her to realize that shes been a baddies and she flipped and I found myself fighting for the good guys against the bad.

So that didn't go as planned but it did sow some Chaos so whatever. They are all dead once I hook up with Minthara anyways.

Mage Hand is your friend.
Mage Hand doesn't trigger the mushrooms? What else doesn't it trigger? As they made it into this weird lame 10 round 1/short rest entity I assumed it was the same as other entities. It's one of the worst bits of design and balancing in BG3 right now but if it doesn't trigger anything maybe it has some value - I really thought it triggered anything triggered by flying/levitating entities though.

You can hop around on the mushroom ledges (hey, I'm Mario). That bit's not particularly difficult if you split the party and make sure no idiot blunders after you.

Blowing it all up is much more fun though.

Mage Hand doesn't trigger the mushrooms? What else doesn't it trigger? As they made it into this weird lame 10 round 1/short rest entity I assumed it was the same as other entities. It's one of the worst bits of design and balancing in BG3 right now but if it doesn't trigger anything maybe it has some value - I really thought it triggered anything triggered by flying/levitating entities though.
Nope, I even have Wyll take it as the first extra cantrip he gets so I can have him throw the backpack to the dwarf, and then move the noblestalk (DO NOT THROW OR TAKE ANY OTHER ACTION; the former causes it to disappear, and the latter makes the hand eat it).

Dausuul

Legend
I just chucked him a scroll I happened to have on me, which unfortunately emboldened me into thinking I could similarly chuck water at his torch.

Ironically in my current group Astarion is barely used, because my Lore Bard has no issues with skills and I need a tank to keep Karlach able to throw (which even with fixed rules is brutal). That said last time I brought him he was terrifying, maybe Lae'zel can take a break for a bit. I certainly miss his sardonic tone.
Are you using Tavern Brawler on Karlach? If so, you probably don't need a tank for her. TB boosts her accuracy so high that she can eat disadvantage for throwing in melee and still be over 90%.

In fact, I used TB/throw Karlach herself as my tank in my first Honor run. I went with an "all ranged" party and it was amazing. Really drove home how much damage you leave on the table while your melee fighters are Dashing and jumping to reach the enemy. It also gives you a better chance to escape a battle that goes pear-shaped; or turn a losing fight into a win by killing the archers and then kiting the melee monsters.

Remove ads