D&D General BG3 Massive Spoiler Thread

Zardnaar

Legend
I haven't finished my playthrough, but I love my Dark Urge. My wife, who has many full playthroughs under her belt, says that non-Dark Urge playthroughs now feel shallow in comparison for her. She's played both "good" and "evil" Dark Urge runs.

Yeah my wife said same thing. I'm going to play origin characters for the story elements but it's less than Durge.

Virtually no benefit to playing evil except shars spear of night which is very good.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I keep waffling on a Dark Urge play through, and abandoning my Tavs.

Those of you who have done redeemed Dark Urge, how is it overall?
I can concur that the story is quite fulfilling. I did my redeemed Dark Urge as a duergar paladin who romanced Karlach (I wanted to finally get the hot date achievement!)

All of the conversations with the companions through dark urge story beats felt like they had more attention to detail than the normal custom character run.

Amazing scenes with Philomeen and her runepowder barrel as I sneak Astarion round and steal it whilst she talks to my Bard (I had already evacuated Shadowheart and Karlach to a safe distance - like pretty far - in case things got real!), and every time we get a shot of her Astarion is just lurking there where the barrel was like some sort of evil frog or gargoyle. I got her to give me the vial and I stole the barrel she seems to think she's taking back to Waterdeep.

Be interested to see if she manages to dig up another one, if I live long enough to see Waterdeep (I reckon my odds got a bit worse because I now own a small nuclear device which I could potentially screw up with!).

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I can concur that the story is quite fulfilling. I did my redeemed Dark Urge as a duergar paladin who romanced Karlach (I wanted to finally get the hot date achievement!)

All of the conversations with the companions through dark urge story beats felt like they had more attention to detail than the normal custom character run.
I believe Larian said a striving to be good Durg is the iconic playthrough

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I believe Larian said a striving to be good Durg is the iconic playthrough
I am certain when I came across that it convinced me to give it a go because I have the anti-interest in playing an “evil” storyline. That, plus hearing other people who played a good Durge play through, struggling against the “urge” was very rewarding convinced me.

I’m glad I did it as a later playthrough, so as to compare and contrast and being able to see how it improved. But other times I wish it was my first playthrough. I just made the mistake of assuming Dark Urge’s whole point was to be a rewarding story for an evil style. I was wrong!

Zardnaar

Legend
I am certain when I came across that it convinced me to give it a go because I have the anti-interest in playing an “evil” storyline. That, plus hearing other people who played a good Durge play through, struggling against the “urge” was very rewarding convinced me.

I’m glad I did it as a later playthrough, so as to compare and contrast and being able to see how it improved. But other times I wish it was my first playthrough. I just made the mistake of assuming Dark Urge’s whole point was to be a rewarding story for an evil style. I was wrong!

Evil Dutge is like kicking yourself in the love spuds and makes the final act a whole lot harder.

Zardnaar

Legend
Guts of current build.

The titan string bow. Level 3-4 right through to the end of act 3.

Battlemaster fighter 1-8 high intelligence respec into wisdom war cleric level 9/10, then respec champion 11 war cleric level at 12.

Act one is bow + club of hill giant strength or elixir. That's the basic combo.

Secret sauce is whispering promise ring via Volo. Normally a cleric item. When you heal you bless yourself, precise strike is a free action. Drink potion heal. Eat a raspberry as a free action (heal 1 ho) it triggers the ring.

Kill Korgha get broodmothers revenge. This tides you over the rest of the gane. Heal deal 1d6 poison damage.

Strange conduit ring is available as well. Cast concentration spells off items another 1d4 damage. Once you get war cleric it's easy

Other tgan that it's rotating in New items as they become available. Steal special arrows off arrow and fire them. You can use reverberating boots and gloves to trigger them off conditions from special arrows.

Diadem of arcane synergy is early item you use for test of game. It adds your spellcastin modifier to damage once you've shot some opponents. Another+2 or 3 damage.

So hits like a truck and late game the war cleric dip, martial exertion gloves and gloves of the automation give you advantage to hit. Use appropriate arrows on bosses and equipment. For example bonespur gloves vs steel defenders.

For mor fun and games bhaalist armor on a melee character.

Builds basically been cleaning house the whole game.

Remove ads