• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Bind Damage But Increment Actions

ren1999

First Post
The High Elf Wizard just did 4d4 damage to all monsters in a cone who failed their dex save versus the Wizard's DC. The spell is overpowered.

Bounded accuracy is working out very well in these play tests. I hated the idea at first but I've discovered that because higher level characters have higher hit points, that it makes lower level monsters in greater numbers relevant.

But damage needs to be bounded too. Why do first level Wizards get to do 4d4 damage? They could take out a 4HD monster easily with one strike. No. I think that the damage needs to remain at 1d4. When the Wizard increases in level, he could either do 2d4 to one target or 1d4 to 2 targets or something like that. Damage should be bounded but standard attacks should increment slowly like accuracy. About every few levels.

In 4th edition, many powers are combinations. Those combinations should be available to higher level characters by giving them an additional standard action every 5 levels. Higher level monsters should also have multiple attacks per turn.

Giving all characters only 1 reaction to spend before their next turn keeps the characters engaged in the game. Giving characters a chance to execute multiple actions at higher levels makes them more creative. And the time limit for stating multiple actions is working out well. It's fun. If your character can take 3 actions but you don't say what they are right away, you only get to take 1 action.

B.T.

First Post
The High Elf Wizard just did 4d4 damage to all monsters in a cone who failed their dex save versus the Wizard's DC. The spell is overpowered.
The fighter is doing 3d6 + Strength modifier damage to monsters all day erryday.

Because D&DN is returning to older edition balance, this changes many assumptions of the game.

The fighter can do a lot of damage all the time. The wizard can do more damage but only some of the time. While I don't think this is as balanced as 4e, it is a type of balance.

Now, I might argue that low level monsters have too few hit points, making Burning Hands OP. This kind of numerical balance issue needs a lot of playtesting to resolve. (Same with fighters doing 3d6 + Strength mod per hit; maybe Expertise dice are doing too much damage?)

ren1999

First Post
1st level characters are doing too much damage in the play test.
Accuracy
Hit Points
Damage
Actions per Turn
All these things are important.
For the multiple actions per turn idea as was in combo 4e powers to work in 5e, we need to bind the damage to 1 die.
If we're going to have off-hand weapons we need more actions per turn or off-hand and two weapon fighting becomes meaningless.

DogBackward

First Post
Now, I might argue that low level monsters have too few hit points, making Burning Hands OP.
I wouldn't say that that's a problem, though, or that it's overpowered. Low-HP enemies are meant to be cannon fodder. They're there specifically to allow players to feel powerful as they mow down the peons before them (among other reasons).

This is especially noticeable with the Wizard, and this is a good thing. You get to watch the Fighter hacking and hewing through monster after monster without taking a break, while you have to hold back in case you need a given spell later in the day, pinging away with your 1d4+1 damage. Then, finally, when you're facing a massive wave of goblin warriors, the Wizard gets to step forward, place a hand on the Fighter's shoulder and say "Hey, why don't you take a seat? I got this."

Being able to, every once in a while, look over a room full of sizzling, steaming piles of what used to be goblins is one of the major perks of being a Wizard. I would really prefer not to lose that.

Remove ads