Black Panther Trailer

Definitely. It's also something the MCU has completely and utter failed at multiple times. Iron Man 3 comes to mind as the worst example. Why weren't more heroes able to help Tony? And why was the House Party Protocol never used again/before? Because it's an Iron Man movie. Civil War also failed in the other direction; it was supposed to be a Captain America movie but was really just Avengers without a couple expensive stars.

BP got this one right in a lot of ways.
I never get the “why didn’t Tony/ Cap/ Thor call for help?” question. Why would they? For the same reason most action heroes don’t just call in all the cops and a multitude of back-up. Because it’s personal. Because they think they can handle it alone. That’s just admitting they can’t do the job. Or because they don’t have the five hours it will take them to arrive.
Or because their friends are busy. I don’t think we need a scene where fugitive Captain American calls Iron Man only to find he’s busy on his own case.

It’s the same reason the police don’t call and wait for SWAT and the FBI for every call.
Or why every Marvel comic isn’t just Avengers.

Why wasn’t House Party used again? It was at the start of Age of Ultron with the Iron Legion. That and his suits were blown up. He only had a few left.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Civil War also introduced the Sakovia Accords which are especially problematic. Not in the movies but the TV series. Especially now as most of the Defenders are known superheroes and should have been, according to the Accords, already have been picked up.

not really, Shield showed up in Sokovia too and there are back references from the TV shows.

previous to the Defenders show all four members were under the radar enough not to come to the attention of the Authorities. both ex-convict Luke and Jessica Jones were actively trying to avoid publicity (then Luke was in jail) and DD though active could pass as just an average vigilante martial artist (not Super) and now he's also presumed dead.

The upcoming season(s) get a bit more difficult to explain away, but perhaps they will play with it, the trailers for JJ has her being asked if she knows Captain America, which is a nice nod

Derren

Hero
not really, Shield showed up in Sokovia too and there are back references from the TV shows.

previous to the Defenders show all four members were under the radar enough not to come to the attention of the Authorities. both ex-convict Luke and Jessica Jones were actively trying to avoid publicity (then Luke was in jail) and DD though active could pass as just an average vigilante martial artist (not Super) and now he's also presumed dead.

The upcoming season(s) get a bit more difficult to explain away, but perhaps they will play with it, the trailers for JJ has her being asked if she knows Captain America, which is a nice nod

Already in Defenders both Luke and JJ were known superheroes. Lukes invulnerability was televised on TV and sparked a debate about purchasing new weapons for the pomice. I hardly call that under the radar.
And the events around JJ and the Purple Man were also known in Defenders and JJ openly used her powers which didnt surprise anyone (the scene with the towed car).
There is really no explanation why they were not approached by that point considering how big of a deal the Accords are supposed to be.

I liked the movie for the setting and the characters, even though structurally, it seems to follow relatively predictable patterns and doesn't really offer much in the way of surprising developments.

the reactions coming out of the Black Panther screenings in Africa itself have tended to be positive, with the movie making big money in both East, West and South Africa. People are positive about the emphasis on 'hi-tech' modern Africa rather than the crisis and poverty and the fact that a big budget superhero now exists that talks with an African accent (almost), wears kente cloth and looks 'African'. (as a Polynesian I saw the same reaction to Disneys Moana, such that even my 16 year old neice bought a Moana blanket).

Nonetheless that ignores the fact that Wakanda survived and flourished due to being built on 10000 tonnes of Vibranium - thats the fictional part which means that it lackls relevance to the real world and we will never know what uncolonised Uganda might have been like sans Vibranium.
It seems to me that is the biggest flaw - there is no real Wakanda that's going to help the Afro-Americans or the African people rise from the damage colonism and slavery did to them. They still somehow have to figure out a way out of this without superpowers or supertechnology. It offers no real solutions. Maybe, however, it offers at least an Utopia one could strive for?

ccs

41st lv DM
I never get the “why didn’t Tony/ Cap/ Thor call for help?” question. Why would they? For the same reason most action heroes don’t just call in all the cops and a multitude of back-up. Because it’s personal. Because they think they can handle it alone. That’s just admitting they can’t do the job. Or because they don’t have the five hours it will take them to arrive.
Or because their friends are busy. I don’t think we need a scene where fugitive Captain American calls Iron Man only to find he’s busy on his own case.

It’s the same reason the police don’t call and wait for SWAT and the FBI for every call.
Or why every Marvel comic isn’t just Avengers.

Why wasn’t House Party used again? It was at the start of Age of Ultron with the Iron Legion. That and his suits were blown up. He only had a few left.

Exactly. The comics these movies stem from have been operating for 80-some years with vast #s of concurrent solo adventures/chapters where only the title heroes own supporting cast show up/get referenced.

Imaro

Legend
It seems to me that is the biggest flaw - there is no real Wakanda that's going to help the Afro-Americans or the African people rise from the damage colonism and slavery did to them. They still somehow have to figure out a way out of this without superpowers or supertechnology. It offers no real solutions. Maybe, however, it offers at least an Utopia one could strive for?

Ok serious question... why do you think Afro-Americans and African people are looking to this movie as some kind of blueprint to repair/fix the damage of colonism and slavery? Honestly it's more like it inspires African Americans and Africans because it's a representation of them not rooted in colonism, violent stereotypes and slavery... which, along with samboish comedy, seems to be the majority of representation of black and African people in mass media.

EDIT: Think of it in the same way that Captain America represents, and calls to an idealistic America that never really was... but no one is asking why white America thinks they can fix America by using the Cap movies as a blueprint...

EDIT 2: Just to be clear I'm not trying to single you out since a few posters have made assertions along these lines and I'm not understanding why this is assumed?

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
I wonder if the way in which Wakanda is the most "utopian" is not that they managed all of this by themselves but that they managed it without any discernible environmental impact. An Africa without colonialism would have all of the regular problems of countries that Wakanda seems to lack (in the movie): classism, the after effects of industrialization, and so on. Cultures for which large scale mining was foreign would still have gone through great upheaval in order to be able to extra their own mineral wealth; technology and methods to do it would still have had to be imported from elsewhere.

Remove ads