Black Widow

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Just saw it and I really liked it. Of course it was much lower powered than what we've become use to in the MCU but it fit as a Spy movie. I'd rate it better than the Ironman movies and better than Age of Ultron.
Talking about spy movies I thought the villain here worked well for a spy movie, the scheme was very Bond-like and suitably vile.

Yelena (Florence Pugh) was the best character and the movie really was a hand over to the new 'Black Widow". The relationship between the sisters was great and I would have focussed on that more (and dropped the parents). It might have worked better as a series rather than a movie.
I agree that Task Master was criminally underused, the photographic reflexes werent really explored and we didnt get a cool mirror fight, in fact there werent any very good fights in the whole movie.

the best part of the movie though was OT Fagbenle, I cant wait to see him back again in Thunderbolts or Dark Avengers :)

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Black Widow! StreamedDisney+.

Liked it (save the standard overblown Marvel flick action set piece ending, which I was bored of about 18 movies ago!)

Florence Pugh is really good. Reminded me a lot of Jodie Comer in Killing Eve.

Make sure to watch the after credits bit.

Question: BW doesn’t actually have superpowers, right? First half of the film she kept receiving injuries which would kill her instantly and brushing them off with a slight bruise. Like bone crackinginly back breakingly bouncing off railings and stuff during a hundred foot fall, her car exploding and she has a couple of smudges, more than one really vicious car wreck. Which is fine, that’s the type of film it is, but I was curious if she has enhanced durability?

Preferred the family dynamic stuff to the action, generally.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I just came back home from watching it and I enjoyed it, even if it was a bit rushed at times.

I feel that this movie does come a bit late for me. I wish that we could have gotten a Black Widow movie earlier, but alas the character has been wasted a bit, IMHO, in the MCU.

Ryujin

Legend

Liked it (save the standard overblown Marvel flick action set piece ending, which I was bored of about 18 movies ago!)

Question: BW doesn’t actually have superpowers, right? First half of the film she kept receiving injuries which would kill her instantly and brushing them off with a slight bruise. Like bone crackinginly back breakingly bouncing off railings and stuff during a hundred foot fall, her car exploding and she has a couple of smudges, more than one really vicious car wreck. Which is fine, that’s the type of film it is, but I was curious if she has enhanced durability?

In some versions of the character, over the years, she has received a Russian version of Cap's super serum.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

I dont recall if its ever been stated outright in the MCU but in the comics she received a variant of the supersoldier serum. For the movie I did wonder when Melina mentions Natasha having been taken by Draykov because of her Genetic capability (or something?), if that was a hint of her being more than normal human (I guess now we'll never know).

Even without it I just shrugged off her surviving the fall as being due to superior training and peak level agility, surviving car crashes is standard action movie physics

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Even without it I just shrugged off her surviving the fall as being due to superior training and peak level agility, surviving car crashes is standard action movie physics
It is, but this went waaaaaaaaaaay beyond Bond-level endurance. It was definitely superhuman (and very superhuman at that). The trauma is depicted as being quite real and brutal, more so than in most Marvel films where the violence is more cartoony, but she shrugs it off.

pukunui

Legend
It is, but this went waaaaaaaaaaay beyond Bond-level endurance. It was definitely superhuman (and very superhuman at that). The trauma is depicted as being quite real and brutal, more so than in most Marvel films where the violence is more cartoony, but she shrugs it off.
Agreed. Especially since that scene contrasted Nat's ability to survive a fall with very little harm with that other widow's inability to do so. She had a very clearly broken leg and was so incapacitated that Dreykov forced her to kill herself. Admittedly, the widow fell straight down to the ground, whereas Nat hit a few things on the way down, but the way in which she hit those things made it seem like she should have been much worse off than the widow.

Having only recently watched The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, I did enjoy how this film also took more time to slow down and dig into the character interactions. Those were definitely the best part for me. I loved the whole exploration of family in this film, both in the context of Nat's "fake" spy family and in the context of the Red Room.

I agree that Florence Pugh stole the show, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of her in the MCU.

Stalker0

Legend
Yeah this was one of my pet peeves, they made that fall in the beginning sound BRUTAL, like i winched at the scene…and she shakes it off.

while the comics have had versions of nat that are superhuman, MCU has never once claimed her to have superpowers.

and I don’t just mean her backstory, if she was doing superhero level things “in story”…you would have expected other avengers to have commented on it by now.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing

In the rapid image montage of her training I saw a close up of an injection with a liquid that could be super serum.

Remove ads