Black Widow

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I liked it

The A-plot was adequate. But the real point of the film was family and the characters interacting, and that was excellent
Taskmaster was great for the first half. They didn't do much, but they were basically the Terminator for their scenes. Unstoppable. The Taskmaster wasn't beaten, just delayed
Making Taskmaster a minion was an odd choice. There's a superior script out there were Dreykov died and Taskmaster took over for him and was in charge of the Red Room

Hopefully this isn't the last time we see Taskmaster. They lived and can appear in a future movie. Hopefully as a member of the Dark Avengers alongside Yelena, US Agent, Abomination, and whomever else is still under contract

I enjoyed the heist movie aspect to the final act. It's great to see the heroes have a plan and for the plan to actually work
I didnt mind Taskmaster being a minion to Dreykov in this movie, it was suitably Bond and now that the free widows are out there with Taskmaster in tow, they can always set up a new Red Room with Taskmaster taking on their role as assassin Trainer (so I hope they show up in Thunderbolts with that role).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I believe that is the last thing the newly freed girls will want to do...
They may not have much real choice, especially in the post-Blip world the MCU will become. You've got 20 odd former brained washed elite assassins on that helicopter, are they all going to go and be pig farmers?
and besides somebody now has to track down and deprogramme all the other Widows Dreykov had planted around the world - having the free widows network sent out to do that could be the basis of its own streaming series

CapnZapp

Legend
No I get you want them to keep being assassins.

It's just that you come across as not having understood the movie, since that outcome would have been everything Natasha fought against, and also pretty much the exact opposite of the film's message to girls in the audience...

hopeless

Adventurer
Is there any truth to the rumor the actor playing Mason was supposed to be the Taskmaster and they changed it despite it not working properly given her head being cg'd onto the person wearing the costume not fitting properly?

Would that have worked better if they had kept Mason as Taskmaster?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Is there any truth to the rumor the actor playing Mason was supposed to be the Taskmaster and they changed it despite it not working properly given her head being cg'd onto the person wearing the costume not fitting properly?

No idea if there's any truth to the rumors, but as far as whether or not it would have worked better to have Mason be the Taskmaster? I'm going with No. It's better for Natasha to have some reliable contacts out there that she can actually depend on without all/most of them turning out to be an inevitable betrayal.

hopeless

Adventurer
No idea if there's any truth to the rumors, but as far as whether or not it would have worked better to have Mason be the Taskmaster? I'm going with No. It's better for Natasha to have some reliable contacts out there that she can actually depend on without all/most of them turning out to be an inevitable betrayal.
I actually hoped there would be a clip where she's picked up by Cap & co because Mason filled them in on what she was doing and they turned up to help only to find she had already resolved the Red Room.
Then at least we have some link between end of civil war this movie and where they start in Infinity Wars.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Then at least we have some link between end of civil war this movie and where they start in Infinity Wars.
?
We do have that link. It's just not a link that involved the appearance of any other character. But Natasha has the hair, the vest, and gets the jet to set off on the task of picking up her friends as she moves on to the Infinity Wars. Do we need any more of a link?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

No, when O-T was cast people assumed he was going to be Taskmaster because Taskmaster is male in the comics and the suit design had chestplates and shoulders that for a male profile. I think that was a deliberate red herring from Marvel., especially as during the trailer they never revealed who was under the helmet.
I do wonder about who the stunt double was in Taskmasters action scenes though and if Kurylenko could effectively portray the physical prowess of the character. My issue with Taskmaster was putting a chip in her head to make her a terminator rather than a tactical genius with photographic reflexes.

No I get you want them to keep being assassins.

It's just that you come across as not having understood the movie, since that outcome would have been everything Natasha fought against, and also pretty much the exact opposite of the film's message to girls in the audience...

so the message wasnt that little girls can go west and become Avengers?

Remove ads