Black Widow

pukunui

Legend
Going back to Black Widow, something that's been bothering me a little bit is the portrayal of Nat and Yelena's theft of that family's car as no big deal. The movie makes a point of showing us that the shop owner has a) a fancy car and b) a wife and kids. Then Nat says she knows where the keys are, and the next thing we know, they're driving off in the poor guy's sports car.

Perhaps Nat made arrangements for the car to be returned to him when she was finished with it, but that wasn't shown on-screen. It's not so much that I feel it's out of character for her or anything. It's more that the movie itself presents this theft as just a means of moving the plot forward.

This isn't a huge thing for me. Just something I've been mulling over periodically ever since seeing the movie.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
no, I don't think he did.

I don't think he even understood the problem. There's only so much matter in the universe, and only so much of that is the right kind to be food or people. There's a built in limit. The reason people were suffering was cuz people like him had all the wealth as evidenced by their massive armies and war machines being used to inflict his will on people. Maybe if he'd have spent that time helping folks...
It's an interesting question. Does Thanos pay his armies? Do they maybe get a 'get out of jail free' card when he clicks his fingers?

MarkB

Legend
Going back to Black Widow, something that's been bothering me a little bit is the portrayal of Nat and Yelena's theft of that family's car as no big deal. The movie makes a point of showing us that the shop owner has a) a fancy car and b) a wife and kids.
And, presumably, c) insurance. I think she can live with him having to deal with higher premiums for awhile.

Ryujin

Legend
Going back to Black Widow, something that's been bothering me a little bit is the portrayal of Nat and Yelena's theft of that family's car as no big deal. The movie makes a point of showing us that the shop owner has a) a fancy car and b) a wife and kids. Then Nat says she knows where the keys are, and the next thing we know, they're driving off in the poor guy's sports car.

Perhaps Nat made arrangements for the car to be returned to him when she was finished with it, but that wasn't shown on-screen. It's not so much that I feel it's out of character for her or anything. It's more that the movie itself presents this theft as just a means of moving the plot forward.

This isn't a huge thing for me. Just something I've been mulling over periodically ever since seeing the movie.
Right up there with every D&D adventuring party that ever stole their first horses, without considering the ramifications to the victims.

pukunui

Legend
Yeah, see, the scene where they steal that businessman's SUV doesn't bother me.

I think the reason their theft of the sports car bothers me is because the movie made a point to show that the owner is a family man. If they hadn't shown the scenes where the man embraces his wife and kids as he shuts up shop for the day, I don't think I would've given it any more thought than I did their earlier theft of the businessman's SUV.

So, I guess, as a family man myself, I'm just feeling particularly sensitive to that kind of thing. I feel bad for him that Nat and Yelena stole his car.

Janx

Hero
It's an interesting question. Does Thanos pay his armies? Do they maybe get a 'get out of jail free' card when he clicks his fingers?
another good question. Can you imagine fighting for Thanos thinking "yeah, this is gonna rock!" and then snap and oh crap, half the people on my team disappeared, too. I suppose there's art imitating life there as well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases